New NCVEC 605 form bears serious consequences for those convicted of a felony

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Aug 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the old 610 had those questions. A conviction was a bar to granting a license, I believe. I recall having to disclaim or confess affiliation with groups on the list of subversive organizations maintained by the Attorney General but that may have been for enlisting as a Radioman.

It used to be that conviction of a felony was pretty much an ostracism. No firearms, no voting, no offices of trust or honor, etc. One of my lawyer acquaintances spent a couple of years making big rocks into small ones for securities fraud and disbarred, got out, and has his law license back. Another guy was fencing stolen property, was convicted, disbarred, and he's back.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

It does apply to renewals, but not to address changes.

3. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Employers view people with felony convictions as liabilities. Most particularly when the conviction involves violence,drug related or theft. What happens if this conduct is repeated in the workplace within the scope of one's employment by a prior offender? Under the respondeat superior principle; The employer is responsible for the acts of his employees and can be sued for negligent hiring or retention in addition to the wrongful act itself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Before you know it, we'll be required to pee in a cup before taking an amateur exam or applying for a renewal.

KQ9J likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. The war on drugs has become the war on everybody.

N0NB, KQ9J, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

are we talking 40m 20m 0r 10.5m ?

WZ7U likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh, felonies come in all shapes and sizes. Why not misdemeanors? A fine line in many cases. But then again, I've hired felons and got often better employees.
    I'm not just going to write off a person because of a conviction. I'm pleased that it isn't across the board denial.

I'll crawl back into my hole now, no interest in hearing the self righteous rain down fire from heaven.

KG5VQP, K8PG, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Sheep Lie...

9. KK5JY

What I find interesting is that they have to ask the question at all. They have your SSN, and an NCIC ping could give you a yes/no answer in an instant. BATFE and FBI do this several million times each year. Why can't all the federal agencies (who care) just ping "the database" every time there is a red-light review, and ask for clarification if they need it?

WZ7U and W4IOA like this.
  10. KK5JY

(QRZ duplicated my post... ugh...)