New NCVEC 605 form bears serious consequences for those convicted of a felony

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Aug 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

The new revised NCVEC 605 will be deployed as of September 7, 2017 according to an FCC Public Announcement Notice dated August 7,2017. The main revision of the form is the Felony Conviction Basic Character Question in which “Yes” response will require a detailed written explanation as to the nature of the crime, date of conviction, sentence, venue of jurisdiction and a statement as how this felony conviction will impact the qualification and fitness requirement of being [or remaining] a Licensee of the Federal Communications Commission.

In other words; the burden of proof rests with the licensed amateur radio operator or applicant as to demonstrate WHY that person should remain [or be licensed] as a holder of an FCC licensee or grant given the fact that the licensee or applicant has been convicted of a serious crime. It is unknown at this time whether the Commission has enacted licensing and retention guidelines as to what particular felony crimes are permanently disqualifying.

All licensed radio amateurs and applicants MUST answer this Basic Character Question for new licenses ,renewals, upgrades, modifications, address change etc. Failure to response to the question by omission or misstatement could lead to denial or revocation of license.

The ARRL has instructed its VE teams to commerce using the new NCVEC 605 form as of August 21, 2017. All previous copies of the NCVEC605 form are obsolete and to be discarded

Attached Files:

K4RKY and KY5U like this.
  2. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe Club Fed has a club station?

KD4MOJ likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you search Google for "denial of federal benefits," you will see a good example. Under US federal law, there are any number of license privileges that can be suspended or revoked because of different kinds of felony convictions in different types of jurisdictions. If anything, it appears that FCC is just catching up to standardizing their forms to screen for this in their regular course of business. I don't remember having to answer this question when I did my commercial tickets a few years back, so I would expect the question to appear on those forms as well before long if they aren't already there.

W2AI likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

The Basic Character Question will appear in all license applications [wireless or not] under the jurisdiction of the FCC.The Communications Act (federal laws overseeing communications) requires the Commission to evaluate whether an applicant is qualified to be issued any FCC license (both commercial and amateur). This enables the FCC to determine whether an applicant is eligible under sections 310(d) and 308(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, to hold or have ownership interest in a station license.

5. KK5JY

Okay?

6. KK5JY

I could be wrong, but it sounds like this issue is very important to you. :)

K1OIK and K1FBI like this.
  7. K2JK

K2JK Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't apply to renewals and address changes.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

'bout damn time!

N5PAR likes this.
  9. KK5JY

If I remember correctly, omission or deliberately misrepresenting a material fact on a federal application is itself a felony.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this has any effect on anything. Won't stop those on the frequencies that shall not be named, now will it?

WD8T, KA9MOT, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.