New mobile installation

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N2SUB, Jun 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Spend your money on the antenna and install it properly. You will do better than running the extra power into a so so antenna. Tune your antenna to resonance instead of using a tuner. My Icom 706 at 100w works great for me and it has VHF and UHF when I want those bands and it doesn't take up much room on the console. I run a bug catcher type antenna which is almost 14' to the tip.

I love "busting a pileup" from the mobile.

Antenna rainbow.JPG
    WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG

John WD5IKX

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    N2SUB likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your picture reminded me of another question.....how do you log when you're operating mobile? It seems like it would be risky, or in some states illegal to take your hands off the wheel to log a contact. Maybe using a voice recorder would do nicely, but I haven't given a lot of thought to the options. How about adding contacts to your shopping list using the Google Home app on your phone?

WD5IKX likes this.
  3. WD5IKX

Using a voice recorder is a good idea and I am thinking of getting one. I use a scratch pad and I have gotten pretty good at jotting down contact notes without looking as I write. I transfer the notes to my log sheet when I stop somewhere. That way I can keep my eyes on the road. Of course I have to put the mic down to do it. (^8

John WD5IKX

N2SUB likes this.
  4. N2SUB

It sounds like you might want to invest in a pilot's knee-board. I'm a lefty, so I'd almost certainly need to do something like that.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/fl...uxOzCR7s3FEmzPUVvz-nElY2RVK50ZDwv8xoCVhzw_wcB

WD5IKX likes this.
  5. WD5IKX

Thanks for the tip. I knew about those but I didn't know what they were called. I need to order one to make it easier to jot down contact info. My little clipboard tends to slide around.

John WD5IKX

N2SUB likes this.
  6. G7BTP

G7BTP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All
    I have run 3 radios from my motor-home and as a mobile set up.
    The IC 706mk2, Icom 7100 and TS480sat.
    My mobile set up has a leisure battery in the boot and i found that when parked up the 706 soon played up if the battery was not fully charged (eg Dropped below 12v) so had to keep the engine running when tx on 100watts alot of the time. But got good reports.
    Then I fitted the ts 480sat this was great could park up all day and play radio on 100 watts and the leasure battery was fine also with the icom 7100 great results.(i now use this all the time in the car)
    in the motor-home I now use the 480 sat connected to a 60m doublet and work the world on battery and psu (with electric hook up)
    I get great reports from both 7100 and 480.
    NOTE ts480hx 200 watt version also needs 2 power supplies
    hope this helps
    poul g7btp

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    N2SUB likes this.
  7. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

James

I use Hamlog an app for smartphone to log when portable or mobile.

http://pignology.net/hamlog.html

Probably don't want to use while in motion, but it is simple enough to use when stopped at a light. I like it because i t can be uploaded to my log database at home.

I love my TS480HX, I currently use it mobile with a screwdriver antenna. I also use it portable, remote and with the camper trailer.

Mobile set ups are already compromised and have A LOT of signal loss. Using a tuner aggravates the problem. Use a resonant antenna such as a hamstick on a proper mount. Make sure the vehicle is bonded and the antenna system is tuned using an inductive coil to match the antenna to the car or truck. KoBG has a great website chock full of mobile information.

http://www.k0bg.com/

Most modern cars should have an alternator and battery that with enough guts to use the TS480HX. Antenna systems is key to good performance. A little bit of work getting everything set up and you will be able to check in to nets all over. Every morning from here in Maryland using a 480HX or my FT450 with a hamstick or a hustler resonator, I talk with stations from Maine to Flordia and as far West as Minnesota with out a problem on 40m. In the evening we like to work DX on 20m.

With a good antenna system mobile HF can be a lot of fun.

Brian
    KB3WFV

N2SUB likes this.
  8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I write the contact info on the inside of my driver side door window with a grease pencil, although they're getting hard to find these days.

N2SUB likes this.
  9. N2SUB

I LOVE that answer! :cool:

10. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! You just have to remember to transfer it to your log before you roll the window down or the grease smears.