ad: Alphaant-1

NEW Mission to retrieve the "TITANIC" radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically I suppose the radio gear on the Titanic belonged to the owner of the Titanic, and I believe that was JP Morgan. So, I don't regard it as "grave robbing". If they were taking wedding bands and personal heirlooms of people who drowned, that would be different. But the radio gear was not the personal property of the people who perished. It was just radio gear that happened to be on board the ship.

KF4ZKU, N0YPD and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe so. I think at this time the Marconi company retained ownership of the radio gear, and I think the radio operators were actually Marconi employees, not White Star Line employees, in some sort of "lease of equipment and technical services" contract.

...none of which is relevant to your point that the radio wasn't property of casualties of the sinking; just an interesting aside relating to the secrecy and closeness with which early radio communication technology was being held by Marconi vs. its competitors.

This being the 'Zed, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (or even if I'm not ;)) but the above was my impression from a recent reading of Wade's detailed account and analysis of the sinking and subsequent inquires.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. K5FZ

K5FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it would be a tough restoration...

KF4ZKU and WN1MB like this.
  4. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be fantastic if they ever managed to get it up and running......i reckon the first message sent will be "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST" ;)

AJ6KZ and K0UO like this.
  5. N4YI

N4YI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

i agree with you but please read the entire story
    (In 1996 he even tried, failing, to re-emerge a part of it, in front of spectators who had $ 5,000 apiece for the show.) reading comprehension plays a big part,

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

don't they mean the"Olympia's" radio

K1MDR likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You should then learn how by studying the history of archaeology. Money always played a part and removing what ever could be transported, often by "donations", played a big part of what is now a huge industry that benefits those already interested in the subject and new people interested in learning about history. A rust pile on the ocean floor benefits nobody.

Looting is a term used often by the jealous, uninformed, serial whiners, and others not a part of anything useful but compelled to post anyway.

BTW, love that looted 70 Duster, my toy is a 68 Impala SS 396 convertible looted from an estate in NC in 98:D
    To each their own.

Carl
    Born in Queens, raised in Brooklyn and Nassau County
    Escaped to NH after 1959-63 USN active duty

K2NCC and WO2E like this.
  10. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish them success. I like the idea of retrieving the radio.

N2HYR and KM1H like this.
  11. N3NL

N3NL QRZ Lifetime Member #250 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wonderful video. I do find it interesting that the fellow mentions that Marconi "used" others ideas to put together a radio. In fact Marconi stole 17 patents held by Tesla, which is why Tesla was given credit (posthumously) for truly inventing radio some years back. Recovering this radio is important so it is retrieved before the entire ship is nothing but a lump on the sea floor.

N2HYR likes this.
  12. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree. Any notes taken by the radio operators would nearly certainly be lost by now. There's a photo of the radio room and a well documented "replica" in the Olympic. There's nothing of historical value really. I guess someone could say that this is the rotted and rusty bits left of the Titanic radio. That's a lot of risk for what seems like little reward. Send another underwater drone and take some more pictures, that should be all we really need.

N2EY likes this.
  13. N9EN

N9EN Ham Member QRZ Page

It never ceases to amaze me as to how people can think of new ways of wasting time and money. I would think that people could be better served by putting an end to the unnecessary starvation and needless wars and conflicts going on throughout the world!

KF4ZKU, KS5N, WA1UIL and 1 other person like this.
  14. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello WA2LXB.

Thanks for your comment.
    Who are the people on YOUTUBE?
    I'm curious.
    Peace is the best.

I want to keep it for future generations.

Excuse me. I am studying English.
    Does it make sense?

JF1IRQ From JAPAN.

N2AMM and WA2LXB like this.
  15. KB9VLH

KB9VLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't they just leave the boat and its contents alone. Bringing back that radio is going to prove nothing --- leave the whole works rest in peace...

KF4ZKU, N2EY and WA2LXB like this.