NEW Mission to retrieve the "TITANIC" radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting ! Been K4KKQ for 62 years, and I really like the 'old radio' history !

NU4R likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeeez, get off your silly soap box and return to reality. Humans have been revisiting and studying the past for for hundreds of years.

Try to learn something new here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology

N0YPD and AJ6KZ like this.
  3. K7BEN

K7BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax Francis.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not looting. It is Salving authorized by a maritime court.

AC0GT likes this.
  5. KU4GW

KU4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that haven't watched it Tom Lynskey made a great short film from 2010 until 2012 (42:48 long) titled "The Last Signals". The Last Signals is the story of the sinking of the RMS Titanic from the point of view of it's Marconi Telegraph Operators. Harold Bride, the Junior Operator, is the focus of the film. John Phillips is the Chief Operator. This film was put together attempting to be the most historically accurate representation of the sinking of the Titanic. The sets were painstakingly made to represent the real Titanic's Marconi room using several sources- ship blueprints, photographic evidence, and first hand accounts. The story was pieced together and recreated to be exactly as the real story was- and in many places the scene unfolds pretty much word for word as it did on the real Titanic. Over two years in the making, this film is only the shortened version of the feature film (as of now still in post-production). The feature film depicts more scenes aboard the Titanic- specifically Father Frank Browne's photography (the only known photo of the room), the ice warning (which were almost entirely cut from this version), and more information about their personal backgrounds. In addition to showing more of the Titanic story, it also depicts more aboard the Carpathia, and large segments of the story take place in New York City during the weeks of the US Senatorial Investigations, where not only do we see the world's reaction to the sinking, but we also see Harold Bride's recovery from the disaster. I've never saw the completed full version Tom claims in the description he was making and as far as I know it was never completed and released. He has made several other short films since then, I recall one about 2 soldiers on opposite sides who were trapped together in the forest during either World War I or during the Battle of the Bulge, it's been so long ago I don't recall now, but am sure it can probably be found on Tom Lynskey's YouTube Channel. I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Signals! You can view a short 2 minute 28 second long trailer for the film at Here is the link to The Last Signals on YouTube and it can also be viewed on the Internet Movie Database channel at the link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2224501/ . Enjoy and very 73!

de Cliff, KU4GW

N2EY, AJ6KZ and W0PV like this.
  6. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically I suppose the radio gear on the Titanic belonged to the owner of the Titanic, and I believe that was JP Morgan. So, I don't regard it as "grave robbing". If they were taking wedding bands and personal heirlooms of people who drowned, that would be different. But the radio gear was not the personal property of the people who perished. It was just radio gear that happened to be on board the ship.

N0YPD and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe so. I think at this time the Marconi company retained ownership of the radio gear, and I think the radio operators were actually Marconi employees, not White Star Line employees, in some sort of "lease of equipment and technical services" contract.

...none of which is relevant to your point that the radio wasn't property of casualties of the sinking; just an interesting aside relating to the secrecy and closeness with which early radio communication technology was being held by Marconi vs. its competitors.

This being the 'Zed, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (or even if I'm not ;)) but the above was my impression from a recent reading of Wade's detailed account and analysis of the sinking and subsequent inquires.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. K5FZ

K5FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it would be a tough restoration...

WN1MB likes this.
  9. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be fantastic if they ever managed to get it up and running......i reckon the first message sent will be "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST" ;)

AJ6KZ and K0UO like this.
  10. N4YI

N4YI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020