ad: Halibut-1

NEW Mission to retrieve the "TITANIC" radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Mission to retrieve the TITANIC radio!

After Robert Ballard discovered the wreckage of the ocean liner sunk off April 14, 1912 off Newfoundland in 1985, many expeditions reached 3,810 meters deep where he lies, taking 4,000 memorabilia to sell to the highest bidder.

In 1996 he even tried, failing, to re-emerge a part of it, in front of spectators who had $ 5,000 apiece for the show.

So in 2000, the USA, Canada, France and Great Britain agreed to PROHIBIT any further expedition that damaged the wreck.

But now the Virginia court has granted "special" permission to Bretton Hunchak, president of a naval recovery company, to remove a piece: Bretton has promised to recover an exceptional find, the RADIO of the Marconi room from which the message was launched Morse "Hurry up, the engine room is almost flooded" the last one sent by the ship and the first SOS in history.

Thanks to it, the rescue arrived in a few hours, containing the number of the dead (which were 1,500).

The historical importance of the recovery convinced the judge to make an exception to the rule, despite the opposition of NOAA, the American body that also deals with the oceans.

After all, this will probably be the last expedition, in fact the bacteria that feed on metal have now corroded almost everything.

PS note, in the RMS Titanic room there isn't a Tesla or Popov radio... but a Marconi ! hi hi :)

report this interesting website of Titanic:

http: //www.titanicdiclaudiobossi.co...tore_278.htm

and this discussion on FAI and the marconi radio station:

http://www.arifidenza.it/Forum/topi...IC_ID=366487

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

marconi.jpg

KE7DRT, AC7DD, KG4BFR and 3 others like this.
  2. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an interesting story.
    Thank you
    JF1IRQ

N2HYR, WA7HJV and IW2BSF like this.
  3. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grave robbing...

W2CPD, WW3JR, PD0Q and 1 other person like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With luck they will also bring up the QSL cards that didn't get mailed! :)

VK3SQ, KD5OM, G4EDG and 3 others like this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

After this long, will there even be anything left to 'recover'?

KF4ZKU and (deleted member) like this.
  6. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a look at the AWA's recreation of the Titanic's Marconi receiving room and frequency selectable 250W spark gap transmitter.

Start at the 8 minute mark: https://antiquewireless.org/homepage/video-tour-2/

Another video is here, and you can also start at the 8 minute mark:

What will remain after all this time is anything that is lead, glass, ceramic, brass, carbon, bakelite, slate, thick rubber or leather or possibly heavy iron core. Obviously light bulbs and radio tubes will have imploded.

Shoes, paper and felt hats have all been found relatively intact. https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/titanic-artifacts-up-for-auction/

Much of the radio gear will likely have fallen to the radio room floor and be under a jumble of debris.

KF4ZKU, KA0HCP, K4KKQ and 3 others like this.
  7. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello WA2LXB

Who is the person who is explaining this YOUTUBE?

JF1IRQ

8. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

.... nice videos thanks to all . 73

9. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good question, I do not know.

I do wish they'd leave the wreck in peace instead of looting the dead.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    W2AAT and JF1IRQ like this.
  10. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

i agree but looting has been going on for centuries where there is money to be made
    nobody would risk their lives time and money if they have no way to recover the funds plus make a profit. this guy had a great gig until he got greedy. ruin it for lots of people.

11. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting ! Been K4KKQ for 62 years, and I really like the 'old radio' history !

N2HYR and NU4R like this.
  12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeeez, get off your silly soap box and return to reality. Humans have been revisiting and studying the past for for hundreds of years.

Try to learn something new here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology

N0YPD and AJ6KZ like this.
  13. K7BEN

K7BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax Francis.

14. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not looting. It is Salving authorized by a maritime court.

AC0GT likes this.
  15. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that haven't watched it Tom Lynskey made a great short film from 2010 until 2012 (42:48 long) titled "The Last Signals". The Last Signals is the story of the sinking of the RMS Titanic from the point of view of it's Marconi Telegraph Operators. Harold Bride, the Junior Operator, is the focus of the film. John Phillips is the Chief Operator. This film was put together attempting to be the most historically accurate representation of the sinking of the Titanic. The sets were painstakingly made to represent the real Titanic's Marconi room using several sources- ship blueprints, photographic evidence, and first hand accounts. The story was pieced together and recreated to be exactly as the real story was- and in many places the scene unfolds pretty much word for word as it did on the real Titanic. Over two years in the making, this film is only the shortened version of the feature film (as of now still in post-production). The feature film depicts more scenes aboard the Titanic- specifically Father Frank Browne's photography (the only known photo of the room), the ice warning (which were almost entirely cut from this version), and more information about their personal backgrounds. In addition to showing more of the Titanic story, it also depicts more aboard the Carpathia, and large segments of the story take place in New York City during the weeks of the US Senatorial Investigations, where not only do we see the world's reaction to the sinking, but we also see Harold Bride's recovery from the disaster. I've never saw the completed full version Tom claims in the description he was making and as far as I know it was never completed and released. He has made several other short films since then, I recall one about 2 soldiers on opposite sides who were trapped together in the forest during either World War I or during the Battle of the Bulge, it's been so long ago I don't recall now, but am sure it can probably be found on Tom Lynskey's YouTube Channel. I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Signals! You can view a short 2 minute 28 second long trailer for the film at Here is the link to The Last Signals on YouTube and it can also be viewed on the Internet Movie Database channel at the link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2224501/ . Enjoy and very 73!

de Cliff, KU4GW

N2EY, AJ6KZ and W0PV like this.