New Member Introduces Herself

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KC2URU, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, Gail, and to you, too, KF4YOR!

Gail, not long ago I answered a CQ, a contester, he asked, "Is this your first QSO?"

I replied, "Oh, heck no... this is my 5th."

He was real polite about it, took a little more time with me, which I appreciated.

So, yeah, you're going to sound stupid and everyone will know you are a newbie. It's really not that painful. Get over it and have fun.

I urge you to study for your General license starting now. That really opens up a lot more privileges to you. You can transmit on most of the HF bands in phone/SSB. I think if you begin studying for the General you will find it is not really that much harder than the Tech. And there are online study guides, too.

While I won't say listen for a year before you initiate a QSO, I will say, do a lot of listening. Listen for various nets in the evenings on 80 meters. Then when you get your General ticket, that's a great way to jump in. Listen for "If there is anyone else that wants to check in, come now with your call..." and jump on in.

2. KC2URU

KC2URU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul and thank you for the great advice!

Two weeks ago I took the Tech exam and passed it and just today I took the General and passed that as well. Now I am studying for the Extra but I don't think I'll be ready to take that test in two weeks!

I have been listening to a repeater here in the city and already joined the club that hosts it so I've already met quite a few of their members. It's a very nice club - LIMARC out on Long Island. I went to their hamfest last weekend and I attended my first meeting at their headquarters a few days ago.

Ok, back to studying ! :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had to mention this SOMEwhere -- and thought this thread was perfect for it...

I had my first voice/phone HF QSO last night!! And the person I had my first contact with, I was also his first QSO! We both earned our General on Saturday!

Reminds me of my first solo "cross-country" flight in flight school -- soon as I crossed over the Texas border (and bored) -- I chatted with a guy who was doing his first solo cross-country flight and just crossed over on the OTHER side of Texas from California (I was coming from Georgia).

Neat!!! Making a SSB phone contact on HF is just a totally different experience than digital.

73 everybody!
    --Alex / KF4YOR/AG

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Congratulations and welcome to both ham radio and QRZ.COM.

Like N8YX, my first contact was on CW. More than 34 years later I still feel bad for that guy as I'm sure I didn't send much he could copy.

I went to the LIMARC salamifest once. It was one of the better ones I've been to.

I was a member of MAARC - 147.36 - in the late 70's. A pretty decent bunch of guys, we met in the Saturday Night Live studio. Those were very interesting times in the world of FM and repeaters. The repeater wars were ablaze in full flame and a repeater 1000 feet above Manhattan was a juicy target indeed! I bet Steve remembers Sammy from Bensonhurst.

Gail and Alex, I'm glad you've both passed the General exam. Repeaters are useful communication tools but talking to the same few guys every rush hour is not what ham radio is all about. HF is the essence of our hobby.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  5. KC2URU

KC2URU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been checking the database daily since I took the test for the General license and finally, yesterday, happily noticed that I have been upgraded! I am so totally thrilled and wanted to share it with you all! :)

Now I want to really study for the Extra and learn Morse Code!

6. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

HAH! Same here! I was getting quite sick and tired of doing the whole KF4YOR/AG thing! Now I can drop the "/AG" and get on with it!!

WooHoo!

FCC Database is updated -- QRZ should be soon!

Again, congratulations to you, KC2URU!!

--Alex / KF4YOR (note the lack of the "/AG"?? Awww yeah!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.