New Member Introduces Herself

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KC2URU, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome!!

My wife will be please with another young lady on the air to talk to!

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to see another woman in the ranks of amateur radio.
    Welcome.

The first time or two are a little scary, that's okay y'll get over it.

3. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

I recommend finding a local radio club, and also listening a lot to the local nets.

I have found the hams in my area are always willing to help a newbie!

4. NJ7L

NJ7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the world of Ham Radio KC2URU! Have Fun and Ham It Up ;).

5. N4AJZ

N4AJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too!! Been pounding the brass for 32 years now(as a ham) Was a brass pounder in the Army Signal Corp before becoming a ham(1965 -1986). Love it!!

Welcome Gail!!

N4AJZ

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I made not contacts as a Tech. It was not until I passed my General that I bought a 2m and later an HF rig. My first contacts were actually PSK31 contacts on 20M.

7. KD4AEN

KD4AEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some good advice:

Don't operate just yet. Spend the first year or two listening! Listen, listen, listen! Each frequency in each region has it's own peculiarities and each group of ops on those freq's have different rules for operating. This holds true for repeater operation as well!

If you truly MUST use a repeater, find a group and listen to them for quite a while. What Part 97 says and what the local rules are for operating are two different animals. Make sure you have the permission of the local hams to operate. No authorization from your local hams to operate even on simplex will get you in huge trouble!

I say this because I have learned that the "self policing" caluse in part 97 has mostly been interpreted by hams in each region of the U.S. to usually mean that they have alot to say about who gets to operate their station and who cannot operate, so, get their blessing first. Find out where these groups hang out and attend their meetings and let them get to know you first before you even attempt to press that PTT!

Just because you now have a call does not mean you can get on the air and operate although Part 97 says you can. Get socially aquainted with the local hams first.

I have gotten over the "gee, I love amateur radio and think this is really cool" and have started listening more instead of listening. As a matter of fact, I listen so much that I barely operate. When it comes to repeaters, pick one and stay there or else you are doomed to all sorts of garbage you don't want to put up with.

The variation of this rule is if the other repeaters you have interest in are NOT club repeaters and if they are put up with the aim of letting any old operator use them. When it comes to HF, that's where the REAL gold of amateur radio is! Get on HF and stay there because the FM bands are mostly garbage anyway!

Learn a skill, practice it, love it, respect it, and use it!

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting - if it were up to me, newbies today would start out exactly this way. It's just like when I started a million years ago - low power on HF using a non-voice mode. You learn so much about radio that way without the 'mike fright'. Of course, I had 'key fright' but that's another story...

Your new Tech ticket grants you a lot of privileges you may not even fully understand yet. I know too many new Techs are surprised to find out they can do so much.

You can run 200 watts of CW on 4 of the HF bands to work the world. You can use satellites, meteors, the moon, and short skip on 10 and 6 meter SSB to work all over the country.

So, I agree that everybody's goal should be to get to General or higher. But it won't hurt to stop and smell the roses a bit on the way!

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Gail. Consider yourself warmly greeted.

I am I, and URU.

(Couldn't resist..:D)

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the hobby, Gail, from an ex-NYer now happily living in the Free Democratic Republic of California.

Question: How did you become interested in ham radio?

I have a wife and four daughters all of whom think it's stupid. Or maybe it's me they think is stupid, I'm never completely sure about this.:p

Steve WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.