New macOS-native APRS client

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by W8WJB, Oct 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W8WJB

W8WJB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

The form to submit new apps to MacHamRadio seems to not be working, so I'll try posting here.

I am the author of a new native APRS client for macOS. Think YAAC or Xastir, but built specifically to be a Mac app.

It's been in beta test for several months, but now, after a successful trial run in a major bike race, I think it's about time to smash the champagne bottle against the hull and send it out into the world.

It's called QTH.app and more details can be found here: https://www.w8wjb.com/wp/qth/

- Wes W8WJB

KJ7OWD and WF7A like this.
  2. KJ7OWD

KJ7OWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Wes,

I downloaded your program and am checking it out. I had a few questions for you. If I plug in a USB sound card will it run a radio? How do I connect my radio to my mac to give this a shot?

It would be fun to check out some packets from my mac while I am sitting in the shack tinkering on my Pi without taking my iGate offline.

KJ7OWD
    -Mike 73

3. W8WJB

W8WJB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Mike,

The answer to your question is a qualified yes.

QTH.app does include a software modem, so it can work with any audio device that your Mac recognizes. However, if you want to transmit out the audio device, you would need some mechanism of triggering the PTT in addition to the USB sound card. Some specialized audio devices, like the SignaLink or Rigblaster, have circuits that detect the presence of an audio signal and automatically key up the radio. QTH.app supports PTT interfaces that connect via serial ports or Hamlib CAT control.

That said, my absolute favorite way to connect a radio to a Mac is via a Mobilinkd TNC3. Just connect the TNC3 cable to the radio and then connect to the TNC3 over Bluetooth from the Mac.

I do have a "freemium" licensing model for QTH.app; it's completely free to receive, but does require a paid license to transmit.