New MacBook Pro --- 13 or 16" model?

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WB9JPH, May 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. WB9JPH

WB9JPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How much is enough for general home, small business, and ham radio (FLDigi Suite, MLDX, WSJT, FT-8) use?

Which computer would you pick and why?

How would you configure it?

John
    WB9JPH

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're not going to be moving it too much, lugging it off to business lunches or airplane travel, then go with the biggest screen you can: your eyes will thank you in the long run.

If traveling, then go with the biggest that has a weight you can tolerate.

I like at least 32gb of RAM for my computers, but you'd be just fine with macOS and 16gb. If you have to trade off between a top-of-the-line processor or more memory, I'd go with the processors, but if you can afford both then go 32gb RAM and the 8- core processor. I'm not sure that the 64gb RAM is quite worth the cost.

Ultimately, it is your choice and either would be much more than enough for ham radio stuff and general usage.

3. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always been using a 15" MBP, but next time I probably will get a 13". Because I'm going to use an external monitor or two whenever I do intense work. 13" MBP is 1 pound lighter besides 15" or 16" is not big enough anyway!. The new 13" MBP has 4 cores and up to 32GB RAM, which should be powerful enough for most jobs, unless you use it to render movies, in that case, you should get a Mac Pro instead.

4. WB9JPH

WB9JPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the same money - if portability is not a factor - would I be better off with the new mac mini - faster processor, more memory, more I/O?

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I go portable with my MacMini when staying at hotels--I connect it to the TV in the room, to my keyboard and mouse, and away I go. If a TV's not available, I use my iPad as a monitor.

6. M7JDJ

M7JDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For the MacBook and MacBook Pro I've had I've gone for the 13", but that's simply due to the fact that I could get more horsepower for the same money, couldn't really afford the larger ones. That said I now have a very old (12 year old) iMac which I use at home for my rig, it's useful having more screen space when you have various windows open for logging, transmitting digital modes...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020 at 1:06 PM