ad: SDRKits-1

New logbook service

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by R3NAU, Jul 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. R3NAU

R3NAU Ham Member QRZ Page

(***Excuse me for my Terrible english***)
    Hi, my name is Mikhail, i am a programmer.
    And i got questions for radioamateurs:

Is there a need to create new web service - QSL logbook?
    Is there a web service with some features what you want to use

Planned features:
    • QSL logbook
    • Last contacts at worldmap. recent activity
    • Your contacts timeline
    • Export logbooks to XLS/XML
    • Private or public profile
    • List of hardware
    • QSL cards auto generating
    • e.g
    Service planned with simple interface.
    Planned platforms:
    • Web
    • Android
    • Windows application
    Before i starts i want to hear your opinion and critics about this idea.
    Probably it totally unnecessary.

Service will be my own, uncommercial hobby project and free to use

From radio amateur to radioamateurs

I do not want to compete with the qrz.com at all
    I be glad if we can work together, or integrate, or running service within qrz.com project

Share your ideas and thoughts in this thread
    73 to all, thanks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. R3NAU

Sure, applications can be based on presented api. It even simplifies my work

4. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What problem are you trying to solve?

5. R3NAU

It just hobby. Trying to make some (usefull for people) app.
    If there are no problem, nothing to do here.
    I just investigating: worth it or no.

AG5DB likes this.
  6. R3NAU

Maybe i should create an application that collects data from all these services? Like a aggregator.
    As i know there are few services like qrz.com with open api - it not so hard to inegrate.
    Maybe looking for callsigns in different datbases will be useful feature
    Maybe posting the QSO in different services at one time would be usefull to?
    It would be nice?

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a thought. I guess if you could confirm a contact on all online logbooks, that might be useful to some people.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a nice generous idea and I know it can be fun to build this sort of thing as a hobby but I suggest you think carefully before building something that stores data for other people that they would be very unhappy to lose.

What happens when you lose interest or somehow become available? What happens if it fails when you're away on vacation or whatever?

Of course you can make it clear when they sign up that "this is free, no guarantees etc". Give them a way to download the data for backups etc but that doesn't really solve the human problem if it becomes popular but it no longer becomes fun for you. You'll probably have to put up with ungrateful people complaining that it is not perfect.

I learned this lesson in the early days of the internet when I thought it was cool to provide web hosting and mailboxes for a few friends including a mailman mailing list with message archive for a school I was connected with. It's fun until it's not.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that might be good although I doubt if you'll be able to post to the other services unless users give you their passwords or you establish some sort of trusted relationship with the other services.

KA8NCR's idea sounds good too. At least it's not storing data. I'm not sure if they all have APIs or you'd have to screen scrape which probably wouldn't be practical.

Whatever you do I suggest you make it an open source project hosted on GitHub.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. R3NAU

I worked for a long time in IT and understand how it works.
    In this case there is no need to storing agregated data except case of using local user cache. This cache is located on user's computer/smartphone.

Agregator can be a just of bunch of libaries thich provide methods for get log and post new data on it
    Sure, it libaries can be published on github and cloned or forked by contributors.

Usually API s gives a authorization token for applictaions.
    As i said before there is no need to store data, so u can just type your credentials once in application. Also there is no need to transfer credentials somethere, exept web api authorization methods.
    In our case there are a few services, so you have to fill credentials for each service you want to use.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019