New License, passed General, granted Technician. Wait or fix?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KE8DXY, Apr 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE8DXY

KE8DXY Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my call sign today, and signed up at QRZ.COM.

I took and passed the Tech exam and General Exam, but when I looked up the Call Sign, it shows Tech.

Does it take more time for the General License to show up in the system?

Do I just have to wait a little longer or do I actively have to go about fixing this?

I took the test about an hour away from home because of the timing of the testing dates. So I don't really know any of the Volunteer Examiners.

Thanks for the help.

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

This exact question came up in February of this year. The ham that posted the question is listed as a General now. Several of us had posted with our own experiences, but then he never came back to explain what happened. Instead of posting it all again, click on the link and read.
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...ke-to-process-my-general.510002/#post-3734638

I hope you let us know what happens going forward. If your CSCE says you passed through to General, I think you should be concerned. It doesn't matter that you don't know the VE's. You have their call signs. You should be able to contact them and ask about this. What does your CSCE actually say?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    KE8DXY likes this.
  3. KE8DXY

Thanks for that. Tried to search but didn't see it. The CSCE actually is marked correctly, as "General."

I will be sure to update my experience as I work to get this resolved. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. KE8DXY

Talked to the FCC via their 800 number. They looked it up, and told me to call the VEC. The VEC page doesn't really say who the VEC is for region 8. http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing_5&id=amateur

I sent an email to the ARRL VEC email listed with a copy of the CSCE.

I'll let you know how things develop. Thanks again.

5. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe, Because your testing session was proctored through the ARRL VEC that is who you should contact to help get this straightened out. Either the VE team liaison for the session you attended should be able to help or a simple email to vec@arrl.org should help to get that straightened out as quickly as possible. Congrats and you should be ok to operate with general permissions using your /ag as noted on the back of your CSCE since you have your callsign issued and a CSCE signed off stating that you have general privileges while this gets straightened out.

KE8DXY likes this.
  6. KE8DXY

Matt, thanks. I called the AARL this morning as a follow up to my email. They put me on hold, found the email and said they would pull their paperwork and verify it was entered incorrectly. They took my phone number and said they would call me if there were any discrepancies in the paperwork. I guess there were no discrepancies in the paperwork as I received no phone call, and the license is updated. Thanks everyone.

I guess now it's time to pick a radio!

7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

So we still don't know what to tell the next new ham that asks this question. Is the answer "It depends"? My VEC was W5YI. A friend just had exactly the same experience I did about 10 days ago. Three tests in one day = ONE license issued. Done. He used the Laurel VEC. So is it only the ARRL VEC that can't skip and chew gum at the same time? That just doesn't make any sense if that is the answer.

In any case, progressing through the license classes is NOT the way it happened for me. For proof, look up my call in the ULS, The "Prev. OP. Class" box is BLANK, because I never held any other license class. I passed three tests in one sitting and was issued a license. KE8DXY shows the Tech to General progression I would have expected if you had passed them at two different sessions. In the end the only real problem was the unnecessary confusion.

And while you are looking for that radio, also keep an eye on your "Member" status here. Currently your call is unmanaged, and you are a "New Member". Notice both responders in this thread are "Ham Members" That is what you want as well.

If that doesn't straighten out on its own, you need to post in the Database Helpers area so they can fix it. The Helpers spend an enormous amount of time dealing with new account issues. If US hams would just wait a few days after getting their call it would not be an issue. I didn't even know about QRZ when I got my ticket. I eventually came here and took control of my account. Simple. When you create your own account immediatly it is more complicated. Its all a bit of a mystery to me. But if you find that you do need help, you can get it by posting here.
    http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/qrz-com-callsign-database-helpers.22/

N6QIC and KE8DXY like this.
  8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is true. Currently, there is no progression through the classes, if you pass multiple tests in a single session. I think that has been in effect since they changed the license structure and eliminated the Morse testing.

But that wasn't always true. Prior to the licensing changes you did progress through the license classes, even if you passed multiple tests in a single session. In my case, I took the Tech and General written tests, plus the 13 WPM Morse test, in a single session. I first received the Tech license in the mail, followed by the General, almost two weeks later. A few months later I took the Advanced and Extra written tests, plus the 20 WPM Morse test, in another single session. Similarly, I received the Advanced license in the mail, followed by the Extra, two weeks later.

My ULS record doesn't show all of that. It shows Advanced for the "Prev. OP. Class". However, the only records available are from after I received my Extra. So it shows my vanity application in 2000, but everything before that is gone. But if I ever need to prove it, I still have all the CSCEs.

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Glenn and everyone,

Thank you for posting, and yes you are correct when you said: If that doesn't straighten out on its own, you need to post in the Database Helpers area so they can fix it.

Hear is some general information that can be found in the stickies at the top of most forums.

If you are in the USA and created an account before you received your call sign. Once you know your call sign you will need to post to the "QRZ.com Database Helpers Forum" and create a new thread with the title.(Please change my username to my new call sign). and list your call sign. An administrator will do this for you.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/qrz-com-callsign-database-helpers.22/

If your call sign is not a USA call sign then you will also need to post at least mandatory information in the QRZ.com Call sign Database Helpers Forum and a Staff Member will add you to the database.

Below is a general meaning of the Member status.
    A "New Member" is a member that has created an account and does not have the database yet.
    A "QRZ Member" is a member that has an account and the database, but not yet merged (managed).
    A "Ham Member" is a member that has an account and the database merged (managed) properly.

If you see a page says "Unmanaged" that means that they have not logged in for the first time, or their accounts and the database have been not yet merged properly since their call sign was added to the database.

If you look at some of the logs it is managed by who ever added you to the database until you take control of it. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/dx-updates-for-2016-06-15-48-new.527081/

When you login to your account for the first time it is recommended that you logout then login again. In most instances this is all that it takes for the "QRZ Member" Display to change to "Ham Member" and unmanaged will now be gone.

If you have a USA call sign. All information is automatic from the FCC ULS database. We cannot change, or modify any of the data period. Any error, incorrect data, or data missing, any modification what so ever must be filed with the FCC. You can do this hear at QRZ.com with the W5YI-VEC group for a small fee. http://www.qrz.com/page/renewals.html

Once your information appears on the FCC ULS it will automatically update hear on QRZ in usually less than 2-3 days. Once again you can watch for your update in the logs. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/fcc-updates-for-2016-06-15.527001/

Everyone have a great day,
    any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you,

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016