ad: TinyPaddle-1

New License class in Germany planned 2023

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DL6BCX, Sep 8, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now two classes: A (highest class) and E.
    Future three classes: A (highest class), E and adiitionally N (Novice for 2m/70cm 10W EIRP)

Callsigns prefixes:
    DA, DB, DC, DF, DG, DH, DJ, DK, DL, DM, DP, DR = class A (highest class)
    DE = SWL
    DI = experimental stations outside ham bands (very, very seldom)
    DN = class N
    DO = class E
    Upgrading like US system: N > E > A (test can be done on same day)

My education call DN4HW will expire end of 2022, new education call then DN/DL6BCX

Law not yet in force but will come more than properly.

RU4AA likes this.
  2. DG7RF

DG7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

New class Novice for 2m/70cm : Exam diffeculty is too high .

3. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

High exam difficulty is important if you wish to have technically competent licensees.

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it possible (legal) to post s few sample questions, I'd like to see what the fuss is all about.

Danke.

AD5HR likes this.
  5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

German amateur exams are among the most difficult in the world, and are divided into three parts;

Technical knowledge; different exams for the highest "A" class, and the lower "E" class. "E" class is less extensive
    Operational practices; same for both
    National and international telecommunications regulations and laws ; same for both

The complete question pools (but no answers!) for the present exams are downloadable from the BNetzA website.

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/Sh...Katalog-2006-v1-2z.pdf?__blob=publicationFile (technical class E 380 questions)

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/Sh...FragKlAuEId7830pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile (operating+regulations classes A+E 200+290 questions)

https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/Sh...sseAf252rId9014pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile (technical class A 1060 questions)

Intentions for the new "N" exam content are to reduce the extent and difficulty of the technical part of the exam.

upload_2022-9-13_21-9-54.png

However, the extents of the reduction have not yet been published.

According to my very reliable source of German amateur radio information, qslonline.de , the reasons behind the new exams are the shrinking numbers of German amateurs and DARC members.

Like most other societies, the DARC believes that it is the difficult exams that prevent young people from becoming
    radio amateurs, and they have convinced the BNetzA of the need for a simplified licence.

This new licence class will be limited to 10 W effective radiated power on the 144 MHz and 432 MHz bands.

If this will attract more youngsters into amateur radio remains to be seen...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    US7IGN and KL7KN like this.
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unlikely, I would think. The lack of take-up of licences is more likely down to a combination of lack of publicity - how many youngsters even know that amateur radio exists - and the disappearance of the "wow factor" that used to go with two-way radio. In a world where every youngster carries around a full-duplex digital transceiver in his or her pocket all day, what is the attraction of having to pass an exam and pay another hundred pounds or more for a device that only supports speech and has a range of maybe ten miles?

Martin (G8FXC)

PY2NEA likes this.
  7. SM0AOM

All recent experience points in the direction that the current influx or lack of influx of "youngsters" in amateur radio
    is unrelated to any exam difficulties.

It is instead the lack of interest or lack of attraction which have become the determining factors.

For decades, we have tried to "interest the uninterested" by diluting the exam standards,
    only resulting in a quite marked reduction in numbers of new amateurs.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

WA3VJB and KL7KN like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Karl,
    Thanks for the test links!

I'd place the "A" class test on par or tougher than the old 1st US Commerical Radiotelephone license.
    Some of the questions are relatively simple, others require real math knowledge, something lacking in US education these days. I found the 'oscilloscope questions' to be challenging. Of course, it doesn't help that my German reading skills are terrible....

When I taught at a Jr College in the mid-90s, some students could not solve ohms law questions - even with a calculator. I cannot believe it has gotten any better.

Thanks again!

9. SM0AOM

This is the level that European radio amateurs which are examined according to the HAREC compatible certificate
    are supposed to conform to. A Swedish textbook, which is derived from the German syllabus, totals about 380 densely set pages. However, every Administration is free to state that their exams
    are conforming to HAREC, which has resulted in some quite embarrassing situations.

General level of the "Klasse A" technical questions can perhaps best be described to be at about the current BSEE levels in Europe, and are definitively above the level of those in the First Class Radiotelegraph certificate tests from the 1970s, although we were supposed to also know about electron tube characteristic curves and electrical machinery.

I am reasonably fluent in German, and when taking the practice tests, I usually pass with an 80 to 85% grade.

The Telecommunications Law questions are quite hard, as they require detailed knowledge of the actual language used in the both the ITU and German regulations.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

10. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm thinking about which experiences, decades ago, lead me recently to enter our A-R hobby, I find none likely to be understood today by a younger RA-to-be.

...distress call on 16 by a sailing boat adrift in the middle of Mare-Nostrum huh...?!
    ...medical consultation off Afrika coast, in the Radio-room huh...?!

many many other cases... few in use today.

IMHO a hard line exam pool barring HF bands access also restricts what I consider could be A-R's best.
    No point, excepted signaling us we're not welcome, in keeping a hard line entrance ticket, being RF calculations, abscons legislation, finicky electronics, Morse Code (Brazil specific case today) or whatever...
    I'd rather open the ARRL Handbook, search by myself everywhere, than remember all I had to memorize (as if were able) to pass a one-time exam.
    We're no students anymore, just saying!

Let just the Regulator ask whoever considers A-R which are his/her interests, ideas in mind to be on the air, by means of a block diagram, handles him/her a band/mode plan, period.

Oliver

11. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never understood the meaning of increasing the number of issued licenses. Quantity does not mean quality.

W7ASA likes this.
  12. SM0AOM

One of the major justifications for still allowing amateur radio has been "self-training", which is something that appears to have been largely forgotten today.

Radio amateurs are intended to form an elite among radio hobbyists, and it is impossible to become elite material without contributing at least some efforts.

A compulsory Morse test, and a theory exam on the level of the German "Klasse A" should instead be the norm. Those who do not feel comfortable with this could go back to CB or whatever they came from.

Me neither.

The sole proponents for "Quantity before Quality" seem to be the amateur radio clubs and societies who rate success in membership numbers and revenues. Taking the experiences that many regulators have had with radio amateurs into account, they would most likely welcome a reduction in numbers.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

US7IGN and W7ASA like this.
  13. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hear! Hear!

And yet, the national clubs continue to overlook recruiting the older demographic, whose members have the time, money, and continued fondness for "radio" as they may remember when they were kids.

W7ASA and PY2NEA like this.
  14. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Karl-Arne,
    you are totally right with your
    "General level of the "Klasse A" technical questions can perhaps best be described to be at about the current BSEE levels in Europe, and are definitively above the level of those in the First Class Radiotelegraph certificate tests from the 1970s, although we were supposed to also know about electron tube characteristic curves and electrical machinery."
    I am skilled in public administration and as radio technician, also holding highest commercial maritime radio telegraph license incl. GMDSS lifetime licenses (for our US hams: FCC 605 schedule E equivalent is PG/DO/T1) and certified by workers compensation board (Berufsgenossenschaft) as expert in HF influences to the environment (HF-Schutzbeauftragter).
    Became Radio Officer first and ten years later Radio Amateur, was astonished how difficult some of the "amateur"-questions were.
    As soon as the questionaire for the new KLASSE N is available, i will make the N-test in my kitchen just to see what I now (or not, hi). See my QRZ page.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  15. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the answers are in the documents you cited. The correct answer is always A. In the exam, the answers are shuffled, so that the answer can be A, B, C or D.