new licence and contests

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by MM7DSA, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. MM7DSA

MM7DSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to get a few contacts up my sleeve as a recent "old -80 " newbe and got a fair number through contacts made through contests. However tonight one operator YL3JA from Latvia (971 miles from me) when acknowleging my call sign asked for his number. which I did not know so instead he asked my age. Logged the contact anyway but baffled by the question. The whole thing went at machine gun pace which I have never met before. Sorry for my daft question but can anyone throw any light on this please? 82 QSO's since 9 June this year so feel happy with this.

2. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It all depends on which contest he was running and the rules. Chances are there was a member number he was expecting, which you didn't have; so he asked you for something else, in this case your age. Contests want a specific amount of information exchanged (also called...the exchange); what information they want is up to the contest. I wouldn't worry about it too much; you gave him the information you asked for. The machine gun pace is also normal for contesting. These guys are serious about racking up the points; and when the goal is to work as many people as possible, you can get pretty quick.

Jay/NQ4T

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page