New LED backlight kits for your Icom Radios

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by VE3TMT, Mar 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Shortly I will have a new LED backlight kit available that will replace the original CCFL light in the following Icom radios:

IC-746 *
    IC-746PRO *
    IC-756PRO
    IC-756PROII
    IC-756PROIII

* At this time I do not have instructions for the IC-746 or IC-746PRO. The circuitry is the same and the IC-756 series instruction should get you through the install.

The new kit consists of a custom designed printed circuit board the measures a small 1.75" x 0.75", and uses the radios backlight level line to adjust the brightness of the LED strip in the proper direction. Clockwise increases brightness, counter-clockwise decreases brightness.

The kit will be available in two options...

Option # 1 - Complete kit - includes bare printed circuit board, all board components, LED strip, solder, hookup wire, and full color instructions $55 USD (includes tracked mail in Canada and lower 48)

Option # 2 - Complete kit - includes pre-assembled circuit board, LED strip, hookup wire and full color instructions $75 USD (includes tracked mail in Canada and lower 48)

Accepting pre-orders now, kits should be available in 7-10 days. If you'd like more information or would like to get on the pre-order list, you can email me at ve3tmt@gmail.com

Thank you,
    Max

2. VE3TMT

The first prototype during testing. This is the first board. The board supplied in the kit is much smaller, only 1-3/4 x 3/4"

Screenshot_20190310-194901~01.png

3. VE3TMT

2nd generation boards

IMG_20190314_001028206.jpg

9W6PJM, N0TZU and US7IGN like this.
  4. VE3TMT

Due to an increase in mailing costs by Canada Post, and the fact I need a box to ship rather than padded envelope, new costs are $65 for the kit, $85 pre-built.

Thank you,

5. VE3TMT

Here is a backlight kit I installed in a 746PRO last night. Installation instructions are in the works.

Kits are now available.

IMG_20190326_213642046_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    VE5RH, 9W6PJM, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  6. VE3TMT

New kit installed in a PROII

Attached Files:

WD8T likes this.
  7. KD5AAP

KD5AAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

would this work on a ic-756 non pro.

8. VE3TMT

The backlight circuit is identical, but I don't have any experience getting in to the non profit radio.

9. VE3TMT

Do you have an ICOM 746 or 746PRO with a non operative backlight, or would like to upgrade to an LED backlight?

If you agree to ship me your front panel, I will install one of my LED backlight kits at no charge. I'd like to update my installation guide, but need a panel for pictures. You pay the shipping both ways, you get a nice bright LED backlight for free.

Email me if interested,

Thank you,

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    WD8T likes this.
  10. VE3TMT

Have a 746PRO on the way.

Thank you