ad: wmr-1

New learners then silence?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9RAC, Dec 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I see many post on here over time of new Morse Code learners, wanting information and jumping in full of ambition... then nothing. Is it the "sink or swim" scenario, those who are silent being the sinkers? I wish they would resurface and ask for additional tips or discuss their concerns rather than just throwing in the towel. Its difficult at times but well worth the effort in the end. Most of us have struggled at various points during our CW paths so they are not alone. 73 Rich

K0UO, KE0GXN, N7BKV and 2 others like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it is frustrating but it seems common on many forums where folks do 'drive by postings' and don't return to participate in the conversation and let folks know whether they resolved their problems or in this case started to master code. I hope they're all on the air and too busy logging CW contacts to get back here and follow up.... yeah, probably wishful thinking ;)

W9FL, N7BKV and W9RAC like this.
  3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Swimming well. Just not a lot to talk about that I have not already said regarding my joyful journey toward Morse Code proficiency. I keep putting QSO's in my log book every week. Some are not the prettiest contacts, but they count, I guess.

Head copy percentage at 20+ wpm keeps improving. Sending, not much of a problem. Been at it not yet two years.

One thing I cannot figure out is why the other ops keep telling me to get vanity call K6LID. They say it's available! Maybe I should. It keys real easy. o_O

AJ6KZ, WN1MB, N3FZ and 4 others like this.
  4. N3FZ

N3FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started the "New CW Op Needs Advice..." thread in May 2018.

After that thread, where I was barely keeping my head above water, I finished finished the CW Academy Level 2 and 3, which was a great investment. I am now doing 80%+ CW. I can ragchew via headcopy up to, reliably, 27/28 wpm or so...maybe 30 if the other OM is sending perfect code via keyboard. I can run a contest frequency comfortably at 30 wpm. I still have a long way to go and I still have my days where I'm not sure whether I'd ever copied code before...

In short, it takes a while and it takes the investment of time.

gl es 73.

W1BR, K9CPO, AJ6KZ and 9 others like this.
  5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice stories boys, congratulations, 73 Rich

N3FZ and N7BKV like this.
  6. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking for advice for learning CW is almost guaranteed to lead to paralysis.

AJ6KZ, N3FZ and N7BKV like this.
  7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff @N7BKV and @N3FZ thanks for circling back and letting folks know you're both on the air and making it happen. Should help others who are still struggling a bit to know there can be light at the end of that tunnel.

N3FZ and M6GYU like this.
  8. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much at where @N7BKW is here, 2+ years in, just spending time operating and practicing, can't find my microphone now its been so long... fairly comfortable at 20WPM now and holding steady, can work real fast DX contacts if it stays canned at the 5NN TU... Best part is I have made several lifelong friends as a result of this journey.

WN1MB, W5BIB and K7TRF like this.
  9. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am at exactly the same point as KQ4MM after two years!

The better I get, the more fun it is.

WN1MB and K7TRF like this.
  10. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be guilty of the "how do I start" then disappearing. I started in May 2018 with the Twitter post in the image.

Fast forward to today:
    - I'm 99% CW (still enjoy the sats and I'm toying with DMR)
    - 12-15WPM is typical for me. I sometime surprise myself and get into the 20WPM range
    - I can copy better from a paddle, but I like SKeys better (SKCC #18901T)
    - Still learning. Still enjoying and trying to get others interested.

One thing I try to do ever time I operate is call CQ at around 8-10WPM a time or two. I know how excited I got when I heard a slow CQ to answer. My goal is to add to my "you are my 1st CW QSO" list which is currently at 5.

Attached Files:

AJ6KZ, WN1MB, SV2HZF and 3 others like this.