New laptop connection options

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by M6YDF, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. M6YDF

M6YDF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My new laptop has no serial port, my old one did and I had it connected to my ft 450d cat socket. If I get a serial to usb adaptor will cat work ok? I have one for the interface. Thanks in advance

2. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is how I control my FT-450D

4. M6YDF

Cheers guys

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use Win 10 your options may be limited to MS blessed hardware.

What OS are you using ?

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"So Called" "Serial to USB" adapters abound, especially on the Internet. SOME will work flawlessly, some will be a never ending headache. While some here suggest a "XXXX chip," most adapters do not indicate the type of chip actually used. All I can recommend is "try it or return it." That is usually easiest with local vendors/sellers., even if more expen$ive than web purchases.

7. M6YDF

Thanks all........I've ordered a cheap serial to USB adapter.......see how it goes!:)

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get the counterfiet chip (Common), you will have to manually add a special driver & ONLY use that cable in that USB port, IF you can get it to work.

Ed

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother bought a "USB' to serial adapter which he THOUGHT would allow connection to a parallel printer. (DUH! But we won't go there.) I tried it with my Compaq V2000 USB 2.0 as a DPS device, LO and Behold, it WORKED. I haven't tried it with other USB devices, though.

I recently tried a USB to parallel cable, and low and behold, my Compaq V2000 was able to acknowledge the printer in COM:! > LPT1, and able to print to my HP 4P (parallel Port) laser printer. (S-L-O_W, @ 4 pages per minute, but still@ the same resolution as present Laser printers.)
    The parallel port adapter was a "cheapie" at F*y's, but was a chance. Since it worked with my printer, that is all I needed. I HOPE it will work with other USB devices, such as a Win 10 machine, but that will be seen in the (hopefully) near future. The HP 4P has been a loyal (but slow) companion after all these years, and I still have 1 and 1/2 toner cartridges left. After that, it will be given a decent burial. But THAT could be 10 years in the distance!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently acquired a new Windows 10 laptop and found that my Serial-to-USB adapters with old GENUINE Prolific chips sets do not work.

None of the packages of the three adapters I found at the local MicroCenter store indicated which chip set they had, and the sales staff didn't have a clue.

Took a chance on the only one of the three that indicated Windows 10 compatible on the package and found that it has a new Prolific chip set (with new drivers) that works just fine.

Also acquired an adapter with an FTDI chip set that also works. You can find devices that have that chip set by searching "FTDI USB-to-serial adapter" on Amazon.