NEW! Kenwood TS-890S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SA4MDN, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK Kenwood, any time now. Not even a brochure or a news blog on the Kenwood page. I am beginning to wonder if this is for real or just hamfest candy to draw a crowd.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In situations like this I always ask, “August... what year?” :p

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking of August... render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God things that are God's. ;)

So far, I like the TS-890 rendering I've seen to-date.

4. KD2ACO

Yessiree! That radio looks like it will be fantastic. I already sprang for a 7610 or the Kenwood would be on my list. I truly love Kenwood engineering.

AC9SF and NL7W like this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed!

Icom's 7610 engineering is rather nebulous to me. I fail to understand much of their feedback derivation when it comes to ALC/TGC levels, etc. They've failed to adequately expose these circuits and their workings to my satisfaction. I'm sure Icom pleases many appliance operators, but not me. Much like years gone by, let's see if modern Kenwood engineering will produce adequate technical documentation and service manuals.

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

The 7610 is a good performer. It doesn’t have the power overshoot issues of many earlier radios. I bought it for the close signal performance and noise handling. I do like the audio performance of my TS820 better... but what the hey? Modern radios are pretty spectacular in many ways.

NL7W likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that modern radios really are pretty spectacular especially compared to the stuff we had 40 and 50 years ago. I do wish that Kenwood would release a brochure or even just a teaser to let us know they are serious.

NL7W likes this.
  8. AC9SF

AC9SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice. Looks like a Kenwood version of the 7610.

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

See attached New Product Preliminary Information brochure from March, 2018.

As you can see from the specifications and features, Kenwood is VERY serious. ;)

Attached Files:

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Also looks a lot like the Flex 640/6600 ... but it's a VERY different radio from the SDR's. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.