NEW! Kenwood TS-890S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SA4MDN, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N0ISY

N0ISY Ham Member QRZ Page

One good thing about the Hilberling is that that awful screen can easily be changed.

2. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

It can't be changed if it can't be obtained. Apparently it never made it to our shores. A 7851 is cheaper anyway and ranked right up there.

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't touch it with you bare hands and fingers! You wear gloves, preferably white! ;)

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

I also like the easy to use 590 controls including some new ones. The S-meter readout may have a digital readout option. I have heard that the info were looking for like the release date and price will be given in August, just a few days away. I hope we get the info early in the month. I have one on order and I do know it's not a SDR as it's better using a new Legacy receiver design. Kenwood has came up with a method where the single receiver testing for overload, 2kc spacing with a strong signal surpasses the competition. I'm hoping to see it top the Sherwood list. I like the looks and layout of the controls of this one. The screen is 7", TFT touchscreen. The radio weighs 37.5 lbs, it's size is w15.6 x h 5.6 x d 13.4 inches. Kenwoods receiver test numbers are, 3rd imdr = 110 db, rmdr = 112. These readings are higher than any radio listed on the Sherwood list. The radios are sorted by Third-Order Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced, the second column from the right side. http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
    Use the scroll bar to center the picture on your screen.

TS-890S.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  5. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

What a beauty..

TS-890S.jpg What a beauty.

TS-890S.jpg TS-890S.jpg

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  6. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we are living in grand times when it comes to the availability of new HF rig offerings. The choices are plentiful and the prices are attractive - low if inflation adjusted.

My experience in business is not in manufacturing. It would seem logical if the number of radio offerings is up, suppliers are moving more assets into the amateur radio market place for the chance of increased profits. That is Adam Smith and capitalism. Such an event is usually associated with significant increases in consumer demand. Increased consumer demand means high prices to allocate available supplies preventing shortages and high prices mean profits.

This all hinges on increased consumer demand. Could that be happening in the ham radio market. The numbers may not be exact but let’s use the accounting rule of materiality. Since the beginning of 2015 until the most recent numbers the count of general up to extra class licensee has increased by 4,700 or 1.4%. If the world growth rate for licensees that may purchase HF equipment is similar at 1.4%, there certainly is no significant uptic in demand.

If the growth rate falls and dips to a negative the offerings enjoyed today will be a thing of the past. Let’s enjoy all of the options while we can.

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Only from a marketing standpoint.

I really don't like the graphical meters. They're often laggy - if I have the scope running on the ftdx-3000, the meter is so slow as to be useless. There isn't enough CPU in the radio for it.

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet if their numbers hold true, it will likely outperform fully SDR rigs.
    If a blend old and new tech is better, it is best.
    Besides, I've always enjoyed mutts over purebreds.

Look to Elecraft's success...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    WD4IGX, KD2ACO and N0NB like this.
  9. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it follows the Yaesu pattern, the receiver in the '890 will be better than the receiver in the '990!

NL7W likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a word about it yet and July is done. I wonder if Kenwood meant August 2019??:confused: