NEW! Kenwood TS-890S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SA4MDN, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0ISY

N0ISY Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn, it should start at under $4,000 anything more is not good.

2. N0ISY

I'm training a new "student", she knows nothing of radios except her dad had one. I showed her the knobs for notch and band on the TS-990, showed her the interaction on screen. She was having fun knocking out signals with the Kenwoods feature. Then I put her on a Kenwood TS-850, showed her the notch and band edge knobs, she was lost. Then I showed her an Icom IC-7100 and went into the different features. Shes an engineer that works with the Mayo Clinic, works in a classified area, flys around to different Mayo sites, so not dim.
    Overall reaction; "why dont they all have it in one spot, with the signals right there so you dont have to listen so hard".
    It has nothing to do with what radio has the best statistics, yes it's all about a feature that saves years of learning to adjust your radio to hear a signal. Every radio should have it, or an external plug in that has the screen showing your manual input. As an engineer she said "I agree, that's stupid. Kinda like using a slide rule when you have a calculator" the words of a computer genius, not mine.

3. N0ISY

BINGO! Spending hours each day looking into space listening for clarity, when in seconds you can watch it and done. No brainer, just like Icoms progressive dial, what the heck are Kenwood and Yaesu thinking? Their not, that's the problem. It's not a radio opinion, it's a fact. Just look then listen: seconds. Or listen, then listen some more, just a bit more...... where is that guy...... listen some more......

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't get too worried. The original MSRP on the Icom 7610 was over 5,000. These days? You can get one for close to 3,000.

N0ISY likes this.
  5. N0ISY

Nothing makes or breaks a radio, but when one company solves an age old problem you go with it or your done. It's much like the difference of cardboard discs with numbers to digital readout. I got out of radio for 20 years, so I'm pretty new to the new radios. Staring out the window while I cleaned up a signal was business as usual. It took me half a year to notice the squiggles under the stupid trapezoid was the recieved signal, and the trapazoid moved; the whole thing or either side, then that little spike coming out of the top made unwanted peaks disappear. It was like watching the dip on my old 220 scope take effect on signals. I could only smile; someone finally got it right.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only problem I see with the Hilberling is the physical design. Besides looking like an industrial signal generator, the case is so angular I would be afraid of getting cut if I picked one up. :D

NL7W and N0ISY like this.
  7. N0ISY

When your 55 ya cant tell the difference.

8. N0ISY

At 55 ya cant see the difference

9. N0ISY

I thought I did

10. N0ISY

Oh, I see how this works first time here.