NEW! Kenwood TS-890S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SA4MDN, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kenwood's new HF/50MHz/70MHz Base Station masterpiece.

Featuring a full down conversion receiver, built-in roofing filters for 500Hz / 2.7kHz / 6kHz / 15kHz and a 270Hz option.

A full colour 7 inch TFT Display with full band scope.

100W output on HF/50MHz, 50W on 70MHz (Europe version only).

More information and final price and availability to be confirmed later this summer.

NL7W and S58DX like this.
  2. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

whoops already a post about it.

3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Your pix are better.

NL7W likes this.
  4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not an SDR rig, which is probably a huge mistake on Kenwood's part...

5. S58DX

S58DX Ham Member QRZ Page

If figures are right, that will be hell of a receiver ;)

NL7W likes this.
  6. N0ISY

N0ISY Subscriber QRZ Page

The main feature that makes the Kenwood TS-990 a great radio is on the TS-890. The large trapazoid above the main knob on the 990 is on the screen on the 890. Find your notch, bandwidth, high and low slope. With no monitoring of incoming signals by ear. No listening to instantly notch, change band width and change high or low bandedge. Other radios have up to 4 trapazoids that move but theres no received signal to just turn the dials to. It's a listening game. No other radio has it- NONE. The 990 and the 890 have it. Other radios give you your bandwidth numerically and your trapazoids move left or right but are empty. Or you can see your contour move on the top of a one colored trapazoid. It takes a while because you can see the signal you want to get rid of but you must listen to see if you get it. On the two Kenwoods it's a 1to 3 second deal, it's like playing a video game. I'm not knocking other rigs to hard, after monthes of practice one can learn where to turn your filtering by ear pretty quickly. But the X90's can be learned in minutes. Kenwood still lacks the progressive tuning knob of Icom. I have the 990 but the rit/xit being on the bottom instead of the second radio tuner is how I like my rit/xit so I gotta have a new 890. The Yaesu 101D looks as if it has a recieved signal in two trapazoids, Yaesu is catching on. I don't do SDR, pushing arrow buttons is not my idea of operating a ham radio. I hope all brands have this feature soon, it's the best thing since digital frequency readout.
    Not so pertinent to the original post but it does deal with filtering...... and doing it real quick.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  7. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's okay. LOL I like the new picture. I will have this rig. :)

NL7W likes this.
  8. K7RPM

K7RPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to inject my $.02 but from a different angle: User Interface. I played with a 7610 for an hour or so while a HRO a few weeks ago. There was a lot of stuff I could not figure out how to do without delving into the manual. On the other hand, I've owned a TS_590s for several years and I can see by looking at the 890s controls I would be very much at home in from of this radio. Almost no learning curve.

N0ISY, K9ASE and NY7Q like this.
  9. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

A real meter !

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i cant tell if its a real meter or a digital representation of one. I'm leaning towards a graphical meter as it would be tough to design an LCD screen with a cut-out for a meter...

N0ISY and NL7W like this.