ad: Schulman-1

New Kenwood TS-890S HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still nicer than the 2000

N0YPD, W2CPD and AK5B like this.
  2. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

'Splain it to me Lucy: how does a rig that's "pretty" or "ugly" affect your ability to work that last multiplier in the contest?

3. KA5DOB

KA5DOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the I want one picture..

TS-890S.jpg

N4UP, KB9OFM, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  4. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

A very nice looking rig. Looks kinda like a TS 990 without the extra $$$ and with some updated technology.

K9ASE likes this.
  5. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

...20 pounds lighter than the '990S, too

6. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking at the front panel there seems to be no 'APS' function for CW. If I'm right I think that is a significant error on Kenwood's part.

7. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascal, Thanks for being the eyes and ears for those of us who could not be there.

KA4DPO and AK5B like this.
  8. G3ZPF

Sorry. Typo. Make that 'APF' (Audio peak Filter)

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ummm, it could be a "soft key" for selection that appears on the screen menu when CW mode is selected! Maybe you hit the CW button twice to select this filter. Maybe Kenwood has such excellent CW [audio] that it doesn't need an APF function.

How can you draw a conclusion about features from merely looking at the front panel? Really!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    KA4DPO likes this.
  10. G3ZPF

@KB4QAA well I did say "appears to be" and "if I'm right", didn't I? My reasoning was that anything in soft menus is most likely to be for stuff in the DSP back-end. An APF is an analogue function....essentially an audio CW filter, so is most likely to have a front panel control. Why is one so useful for CW?....well if you have high levels of local noise it is useful to be able to screw the 'nose' of your filters down as tightly as possible. Whilst you can wind the DSP filtering down in my ts590 to 80Hz, at such narrow bandwidths the software has a job working out which is the noise and which is the CW. I've found that by opening up the DSP a lil actually improves noise suppression. With APF being purely at audio, you can screw the filter down to almost zero without the DSP software getting confused.

Thats my experience anyway, but YMMV especially if you live in a low noise QTH.

I'll find out for sure when mine arrives :)

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    AK5B and K2UM like this.
  11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When they come out with something...THAT BEATS THIS... wake me up! :D
    4969816.jpg

KA4DPO, AK5B, NK4K and 2 others like this.
  12. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

None of this has anything to do with this new radio!

13. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take a well done conventional tuned circuit radio over a bad SDR any day. In fact, I'm still not sure I wouldn't take one for some purposes over a GOOD SDR.

KA4DPO, KR3DX, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  14. WD4IGX

Wellll.... basic radio performance was excellent on the 830s best I remember, and the passband tuning that came out on the 820 was a game changer at the time. But... I've owned tube rigs, I have an old tube AM set up I'm dying to set up now, I LIKE tubes, but... as far as both performance and convenience modern solid state is way more convenient and modern filtering even without DSP is vastly superior. The SCF on my FT-990 will blow away any radio I had "back in the day."

KA4DPO, UT7UX and KR3DX like this.
  15. WD4IGX

Hmm. I LIKE it. And I like the 990 too. I hate the weird (to me) "swoopy" look of the 480 and 2000, like the look of the 590 ok.

But aesthetics are very personal, as is how much they matter to us.

K9ASE, UT7UX, AK5B and 1 other person like this.