ad: CQMM-1

New Kenwood Radios: TH-D72 and TS-590S

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9MMS, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6JPE

KI6JPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Images of the new Kenwood models

Here are some images that were taken @ Dayton Hamfest (not by me), and the ham who took them posted this link in the IRC channel from W5KUB's page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveclausen/sets/72157623937113809

I'm looking forward to seeing the new THD72 (name pending) on the shelves at HRO - I'll be buying one!

(Oh, I see someone beat me to the posting of the link - ahh well worth mentioning twice ;)

2. N1JM

N1JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't appear to have an IF out port for a Pan-adapter.

3. N4ZED

N4ZED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here it is... Straight from the hamfest at Dayton. Sorry about the Blur.

[​IMG]

4. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

In Kenwood's words...

Here's the back cover of 6-2010 QST, I think it answers many questions and answers rumors & speculations.

A little hard to read on smaller monitors but it gets to Kenwood's intent for the rig... It follows the "legend" of the TS-520 & TS-570. & not a replacement of the TS-2000, etc

5. W2VV

W2VV Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K6EGW

K6EGW Ham Member QRZ Page

TS 440s

Just finished earning #1 on the DX Honor roll with a TS 440s. + amp.

Great radio. Should have kept the 430. You may want a new rig, but do you need it?

73 Blair.

7. OM1ZZ

OM1ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ability to upgrade the firmware

Hi, I got mine TH-D7E in 2000 and I am using it till today. Nice radio, indeed, I did packet, APRS, fullduplex crossband, satellites,etc. However, most of you know well the story on sending the radio somewhere abroad to a service center because of replacing the processor (the chip) due to a bug in the packet functionality... I would NEVER ever purchase a radio, where its firmware is not upgreadable. For shortwaves I operate an IC7000 and that is the same story. I can imagine several changes in the firmware which will make us happy... These gadgets, full of processors and complex software functionality (like gps, tnc, x25, aprs, dsp, rtty decoding, tv, etc.), MUST have an option for a firmware upgrade (e.g. via USB). And a regular firmware support as well. Is this an option with the new TH-D72 and TS-590?? (...just to remind the ham radio makers on Murphy's laws applicable for software development, hi).
    73, Igor

8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Santec made a 2M FM/SSB handie in the 80's. Was okay actually.

I WANT a TS-590S! It just might be worthy successor, to be placed next to my aging, but wonderful, TS-850Sat. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.