ad: AbAuRe-1

New in the Box - NIB

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AJ4GQ, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Use of the word MINT is just about as bad as NIB in terms of meaningful descriptions.

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would expect NIB to be the radio, cord, manual, mic, and accessories to still be sealed in plastic from the factory. Open the box and show me that, and I'm good.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It means it was new in the box when he bought it 45 years ago. :)

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I always build transmitters in Altoids tins....you can always sell them in MINT condition. Har Har Har!

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

New, Old Stock (NOS)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. WB5MG

WB5MG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think that if you have a new in the box radio and many Hams do buy duplicate radios for spares and may have never been out ot the box, its still new , maybe for the politically correct people you may want the nomenclature of NOS New old Stock, I just dont understand people that want to nit pick every little thing that comes down the pike, but then that just me .mmmmm mmmm

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

I've seen no evidence in over 30 years of hamming that a radio with scratches on it performs any differently than a brand new one out of the box. Scratches are an indicator of how the radio may have been treated, but are certainly not definitive. A well built piece of equipment can surely take a beating. I once bought a stinky, cigarette smoke stained IC-756 from a guy at a good price. I took the radio home, cleaned it, de-smoked it, and put it in my shack. It was an excellent performer.

My de-smoking method: Remove all the covers, place in hot, dry Arizona garage, power it up, point a large fan to blow lots of air over the unit, wait 24 hours. It worked amazingly well.

Another pet peeve of mine is the notion that a radio that is still in the box, unopened, is worth just as much or nearly as much as a brand new one. Radios are like used cars, once you drive them off the lot, they lose a certain amount of value no-matter-what. The difference in value between pre-owned radio in an unopened box and one which has been opened: $0. Both are in the "used" category and there is no way to shake that designation.

If you're hoping to save money by buying a pre-owned radio in an unopened box, versus buying a NEW radio from a dealer, don't even consider it unless the price difference is at least 20%. In my opinion, that's the amount of assurance I need to know that I'm taking the risk for something that is possibly not warranted and for which there is no possibility of return. Think about it.

WD4IGX, AG5DB, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You old dog!

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with that. And I see a lot of people trying to sell radios that obviously don't agree. I see a lot of "like new" used rig advertised for more like 5-10% less than new. For that price delta I'll opt for new, with warranty, and returnable to the dealer, every single time.

10. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO 'New in Box' matches the _ebay_ definition. Unused in the unopened package.

But I also see the point that there needs to be some flex to meet the requirements of the venue.

If you have something that _was_ NIB, and you opened the package and powered the device up to meet the swapmeet requirements, then that is 'essentially' NIB even though it doesn't meet the strict e-bay definition.

If someone bought a radio, tested it out for a couple of hours, then put it into the box. IMHO no longer NIB.

One thing to keep in mind, some components age without use, in particular some types of batteries. I would _prefer_ 'almost' NIB to get something known functional to 'true' NIB.

Jon
    AF7TS

AJ4GQ likes this.