New in the Box - NIB

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AJ4GQ, Jan 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Every now and then there is an ad where the seller uses the term NIB or 'new in the box' to describe a radio that has obviously been used. For example, there is a current ad running for a 746 Pro and his picture shows it is up and running. Besides, 746 Pro radios have not been NIB for a long, long time. I thought NIB meant exactly that. New, never been hooked up or used, never out of the box. Thoughts and comments?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ heavily frowns on "picture of a brown box" so folks really have no choice but to open it up and make it work.

Surely you can imagine a scammer taking a photo of a an empty "sealed box" claiming to have a radio in it, selling the box requiring a money order, then shipping the empty box - never to be seen nor heard from again?

IMO, if a seller of a NIB item takes it out to show it's there, and it works, and honestly declares it to be new including all packing, warranty cards, manuals, etc. - that's fair enough.

It sure beats looking at a photo of a sealed box and wondering "Hmmm.... what's inside?"

Dave
    W7UUU

KA9MOT, WD4IGX, N7ANN and 6 others like this.
  3. AJ4GQ

Dave, I agree with you on each and every point, but what you described is not the kind of ad I was thinking of. I was inquiring about what appears to be a significant misuse of the term NIB. For example:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-ic-746-pro-nib.595790/
    Perhaps my understanding of the meaning of NIB is outdated?
    Hart

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was NIB once long ago, but pix had not been invented yet.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

NL7W, KD4MOJ and N0TZU like this.
  5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks pristine (mint) condition to me. Do you see any indications of wear or usage? I think it would qualify as NIB.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

NIB, at most, should be, I took it out of the box when I bought it, I tried it, it worked, and I put it back in the box. Either the seller has money and bought a spare radio and squirreled it away, or his radio is used, but clean, and "like new" -- and he kept the box.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty sure he did just what I suggested - took it out of the box, powered it up for photos, and put it back in the box. So yes - that IMO would be "NIB" and meet/exceed the QRZ rule of not just listing a brown box without showing the radio. He even went to the trouble to power it up.

What's not to like?

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, N7ANN and KC8VWM like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Many hams (including myself) will purchase a rig and end up not actually using it.

What happens here exactly is I might acquire something for a good deal at the time, or because there was some kind of opportunity that presented itself that you can't pass up, but I already have equipment I am using as "everyday drivers" in the shack. So I might keep it stored away in the closet for rainy day. Perhaps as a backup rig.

Then after no rainy days ever come, ( sometimes years later) I decide to clean out my closet one day and say, "Hey, do I still have this rig in here?" Hmmm... maybe I should sell it on QRZ to get some cash for the hamfest next month.

Another situation is people keep them in the closet so they can use it later as barter material when the right deal comes along. Some people are just "collectors" and when they hear about a rig that's about to be taken off the market, they buy and save them hoping they will appreciate in value later.

I know people don't do everything the same way as one another, and some people might never even consider doing this sort of thing, so it's perfectly understandable why they may not understand others that do.

However, this often explains why you will find things like unbuilt Heathkits and many other NIB rigs for sale in the swapmeet, even though they are very old and have not been on the market for a long time.

So yes they are very old and it's actually quite possible and not especially unusual to get a NIB rig, 10 or even 20 years later after it came from the store shelf.

73 de Charles - KC8VWM

9. AJ4GQ

Great insights and different perspectives on how we define New in the Box. Here's the key part of eBay's definition of New:
    "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging . . ." and that's pretty much what I thought it meant. Based on everyone's comments, it seems my understanding of the meaning of New or NIB is outdated and does not reflect contemporary thinking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also for dragging me (albeit kicking and screaming) into the 21st Century.

10. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Many years ago I was at a Car Flea Market, and a gent had "New in the kraft paper" chrome trim rings for Chevrolet Rallye Wheels, such as for Corvette, Camaro, Chevelle, etc.

He wanted to sell them sight unseen, and I insisted he unwrap them, so I could see what they looked like.

They were stored in his humid basement and had gotten rusted under the wrapping paper. :(
    His $200 for 4 items were not worth $1. :(

I want to see what I am buying. Unless brand new at HRO in person, LOL.