New Icom Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9SWV, Aug 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG8LB

KG8LB Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! Made my day.
    According to the preliminary specs; Yes, it does CW. Puts a big grin on my handsome face!

NL7W likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

10 Watts could easily drive these new LDMOS amps to a 1000W, or to their full capability.
    Most LDMOS amps today require a serious attenuator to be inserted on the RF input side.

N3AWS, WD4IGX and W4NNF like this.
  3. KG8LB

KG8LB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Icom preview says IT does;)

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WA4CZD likes this.
  6. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi!

German dealer anounced it for mabye about 1499€
    https://www.wimo.com/en/new

It´s nice and i´m sure it will get it´s users. Just think about a KX3 with some filters and PAN / Waterfall Adapter etc. Thats more i would say...here it is all in so far.

73 Andre

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to say that PAN/Waterfall display somehow doesn't trip my trigger for anything other than digital modes. I don't need graphic display of SSB, CW, or even RTTY to identify it on any graphic free receiver.
    Dabbling in digital this past year I can see the importance of spectral display.
    That said...a QRP rig for digital modes doesn't really appeal to me. QRP operating to me is CW on my MTR3B portable in the boonies. I find myself using my FT-817 less and less. SSB on a QRP rig? Not for me. Currently the FT-817 is my UHF/VFH base rig. Works fine for that with a better antenna than my HT.
    I seriously doubt the new ICOM QRP rig will find it's way into my shack. But something could change that in the quickly evolving digital modes. It could happen. I will wait and see.

N3AWS likes this.
  8. WA4CZD

WA4CZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's also a bit much for a 10W "Toy". With the advent and availability of LDMOS transmitting devices, a US model capable of at least 100W (on HF/6m) would be very popular and it could be a great replacement for the IC7300 with the included VHF/UHF, and serious competition for Kenwood and Yaesu radios. But at 10W and todays band conditions, I wouldn't seriously consider it.

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will wait a few years, until they drop to $850 or so, like all of the other Icom gear takes a nosedive.

You can get a new 7100 for $685 after rebate, now. That radio was over $1,400 at intro.

Besides, 10w of Icom is going to be 3w to 5w QRP level max average output. Icom average power is very weak, compared to other brands, with current new radios.

Elecraft knows how to push clean power to higher output.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019