New Icom Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9SWV, Aug 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Ham Member QRZ Page

So, Icom just posted this on their Japanese page about 14 hours ago. Says it will be announced August 31st at Ham Fair 2019.

[​IMG]

Any speculation about what it might be? I see the following markings in the picture:

POWER
    VOX
    BK-IN
    DR
    CALL
    AF/RF/SQL
    TWIN PBT

It appears to have a single VFO knob and a screen similar to the 7300/9700/ etc and a front facing speaker like the 7200.

Based on having the DR button, I'd say it at least does 2/70. Based on the recent release of the 9700 and the relatively limited market for dedicated VHF+ all- modes, I can't help but think it might be an HF/6 radio also.

Could this be the new SDR version of the Icom IC-7000?

AG5DB and NY7Z like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom, Isaw, Iconquered.

N1VAU, KM6CND, KI7HSB and 5 others like this.
  3. K4TTJ

K4TTJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

slow day........in L.A. ?

NL7W, K9ASE, KB9OFM and 2 others like this.
  4. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it interesting that the Japanese companies appear to take ham radio so seriously. Since virtually every company is mostly concerned with the bottom line, it tells me it must be a revenue source for them. Why else to do it?

I wonder why, therefore, the American ham radio industry appears so weak and anemic? Have we lost the ability to compete? Yes, yes, yes, there is Flex and Elecraft and a few others, but they strike me as being more niche oriented than mainstream. Just casual curiosity, what do I know? :)

N8ZL likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the Japanese simply still give a crap on many levels.

Unfortunately, I think our country is but a shell of its former self on many levels as well.

K7MH, WB5MG, K0UO and 9 others like this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that line has been taken.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

There's also the little advertisement blurb in the center. Be active? As in physically active? Perhaps this is some sort of new rugged HF rig meant to be used outdoors.

K8KPO and KC9SWV like this.
  8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's kinda what I am thinking. We'll see!

KC9SWV likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "DR" means its a D-Star capable radio so VHF-UHF will no doubt be part of the package. But...they've already released a VHF-UHF desktop rig, so, yes, the logical guess is a replacement for the 7100 which had some problems, or the 7100, which never really took off, or the 9100, whose display looks awfully old-fashioned now. Maybe all three. ;)

KC9SWV likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The hordes of hams at the Elecraft booth admiring the K4, and similar numbers in the Flex booth in Huntsville are a darned good sign that after years of a dry spell U.S. amateur radio makers are on their way back. I'm afraid I don't understand your "niche" comment. You mean because they don't sell marine radios, or land-mobile radios or something as well as amateur gear?

WW2PT and K0UO like this.