ad: elecraft

NEW Icom IC-905 VHF/UHF/SHF FIRST LOOK! 144MHz-10GHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

GSM (and CDMA for North America) is still implemented in recent modem chipsets, like Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G. Last time I checked (last year), the modulation was still used as a fallback when far away from base stations. Even in Europe, it is not difficult to be at 5-10km from the nearest base station in rural areas and 200 mW will not be sufficient. In this scenario, you lose the data connection (or it trickles), but can still phone. As the phone gets pretty warm and the battery empties at high speed, I think the amplifier is ramped up and the max allowed by the GSM norm is 2W. The situation is also the norm in developing countries, where data is only available in cities, but phone and SMS are available outside of them.

I said the phones include a 2W amplifier (thereby making the components available for microwave radios), not that it was used for LTE data in populated areas...

2. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

That would make them at roughly the price of the IC-705 and tuner.

AK5B likes this.
  3. K2ULR

K2ULR Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW.... a log periodic like that one shown can actually be USED as a TV antenna.... should a ham need to demonstrate to a HOA committee that it really is a TV antenna.

N2PQW and AK5B like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, yeah! That is actually one of the reasons I chose it, although not for TV that I seldom ever watch---but for two FM broadcast stations nearby that share the same 98.7MHz channel. One station is in Corpus Christi 35 miles to our southwest, the other is in Victoria, 60 or 70 miles to our NNE. When I am driving around town I can hear both stations drift in and out, resulting it bits and pieces of Ben Shapiro or Mark Levin interspersed with songs by Romeo Void, The Motels, or other vintage rock and roll! :D

In addition to another diplexer that will handle 1.2GHz, I also need to get an N to F connector/adapter so I can route a line to my FM stereo receiver. There will be a mismatch, of course, but having a directional beam up above the roof should make reception about perfect.

Although my house is in the Country Club HOA, they don't strictly enforce compliance unless they receive a complaint---something I found out during a recent meeting that I'm glad I attended---so I suspect I shouldn't have any problems once the log periodic is up and rotating... If they do, though I can certainly demonstrate that it's for TV and FM off the air reception, too.

Jeff

AJ6XW likes this.
  5. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s odd, that if this actually was released for the US market, there has been no press release posted to the Icom newsroom page (for English). Perhaps it has yet to receive FCC approval.

AJ6XW and AK5B like this.
  6. AJ6XW

AJ6XW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

$1300 dollars? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........will it be worth it?

:(:confused::(:confused:

7. N7MK/SK2024

N7MK/SK2024 Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why they have the IC-705

AJ6XW likes this.
  8. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Will it be worth? I think so, and the price is always in the beginning of something new a bit higher. Because hamradio with its old structures got for many youngster not attractive enough. And when the components of realtime video broadcasting, D-Star or any other digital phonic mode and much more other possibilities like satellites are more easy reachabel, it will be worth. And many things that these new technology provide is a real dream, but for homebrewers nearly not to reach. At next to explore these SHF bands is really a new adventure. The most OMs never tried it, because they cant. They hide on shortwave and say thats nothing for them. But why? Because its about the missing groups who are intrested in, plus the missing knowings of how to get on these bands as perfect like on shortwave. And many hobbiests reached alone or in the group, their own limit of knowings concerning to SHF. And personally I never expected a chance like this today, to be on the air with all these new opportunities combined in these kind of a high professional and modern technology for hamradio.

And I think that the founders of hamradio for about 100 years, when they where alife today, will react like this.

G8HGN, AJ6XW and AK5B like this.
  9. AJ6XW

AJ6XW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DO1FER,

Thank you, nice post and nice video. I really like that Bruno Mars song. We used it to teach our students how to dance and they absolutely loved it! Whoever synced the Bruno Mars song with those awesome and talented dancers of the past has incredible talent!

10. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a bargain if that happened to be the correct price!

11. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know, Ive been to Graceland...

12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your post, but the video isnt made by myself. I just found it at youtube. Sorry.

13. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very=(V) Ultra=(U) Surprised=(S)
    (V)hf (U)hf (S)hf

DO1FER likes this.
  14. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

NOW...if they'd just have a firmware/hardware iCOM produced GPS lock, to fix the major shortcomings of the 9700, and still maintain warranty.

15. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page