ad: w5yi

New Icom IC-7410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE4CY, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6DAJ

K6DAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Two independent receivers, but not for HF!!

I got excited when I saw that the IC-9100 had two independent receivers. That's the feature that is most lacking on all but the most expensive Icom radios. "Dual watch" didn't cut it, because you can't have different filters for the two. So you can't use it (for example) to have a tight filter on the DX while using a wide filter for the pileup on the same band

Unfortunately, the independent receivers don't work for the same band (where "HF" counts as a single "band".) I.e. it's only for cross-band (usually satellite) usage. Very disappointing.

If someone knows of an Icom radio that costs less than $4000 that does this, please let me know. More generally, what HF radios less than $4000 have two independent receivers? Seems to me that Yaesu has some.

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could get an Elecraft K3 with the optional sub-receiver for under/around $4k depending on other options, filters, kit/factory assembled and so on. The independent same quality receiver used in the sub receiver is why my next rig will be a K3 (great for working split as you outlined above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.