New Icom IC-7410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE4CY, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

I see Icom has released an upgrade to the discontinued IC-7400... It has been announced by Icom Japan and has been aptly named the IC-7410 .. It has the same body and monochrome display, but the specs are supposed to be similar or equal to the IC-7600

Here's the Icom Japan page (Translated from Japanese to English via Google): http://tinyurl.com/2dp7g53

I don't suppose anyone has had a chance to have a hands on look at one of these yet... (But if so, I'd like to hear)... If the time from announcement to availability is anything like the IC-9100 (which is essentially an IC-7410 with VHF and UHF capability), we probably won't see one on North American dealer shelves until 2015 sometime :)

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim -

From your web link, it appears Icom is using parts of the IC-9100 / IC-910H chasiss for this radio.
    (note the band module antenna connections are plugged up/not punched).

At today's Japanese YEN to USD converstion rates, the suggested retail price for the IC-7410 would be: $ 2,737.05 USD.

You may want to contact Adam Farson, AB4OJ/VA7OJ.
    He has normally keeps North America abreast of upcoming Icom equipment offerings.
    http://www.ab4oj.com/

Icom IC-9100 at Tokyo HamFair (2009/2010) and Dayton 2010
    http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic9100/main.html

Adam's Icom web page
    http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/main.html

w9gb

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting, they market that rig with a 50 watt limit too. That must the max power for some JA ops is it?

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    CORRECT, the Icom Japan web site says this is a 50 Watt RF output version.
    The IC-7410 adds a new more powerful DSP processor (ADSP-21369) as well as a new AD / DA converter (AK4620B), versus the IC-7400.
    Icom Japan is promoting remote operation (via IP) of this radio with Icom's RS-BA1 software.

RigReference.com notes that the IC-7410 has 100 Watts RF Output ??
    http://rigreference.com/rig/5470-ICOM_IC_7410

A couple of personal Blogs noted this new Icom entry.
    http://www.cqdx.ru/blog/2010/12/18/new-icom-transceiver-ic-7410/

The Icom IC-7410 does NOT have 2 meters -- just HF and 6 meters.
    The Icom IC-746Pro did have 2 meters!

Odd announcement in December 18, 2010 from Icom Japan, missing the Tokyo Show a few months ago.
    At this price point: $ 2,737.05 USD -- I WANT A COLOR SCREEN !

w9gb

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe it would cost that much. For $500 I would buy one though.

6. VA1CQ

VA1CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

First production in Japan for release to the Canada / U.S. market will be in January 2011. This means the radio should be available in stores in February 2011.

Japan has four classes of license from 4th Class up to top-level 1st Class. Authorized power levels are 10, 50, 200 and 1000 watts respectively. Many radios are offered in 10W, 50W and 100W versions for sale in Japan.

The IC-7410 marketed in Canada and the U.S. will be the 100W version.

Any price you see quoted for Canada or the U.S. is speculation. The price has not been finalized yet.

Murray
    VA1CQ

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Murray -

Thanks for that. I was in AES Milwaukee yesterday (Christmas Eve),
    and they have the last remining Icom IC-746Pro models (IC-7400) in North America -- so for those looking that is where you will find that model.

Regarding pricing, it is not easy for Eastern Asia mfg. / suppliers to determine today.

Movements in the Yen and USD exchange rates over the past 18 months have been difficult for many
    global product/service firms for pricing decisions and forecasting;
    Deep discounts could be considered product dumping -- and raises "free global trade" noise/issues;
    Unlike 10 years ago, the Japanese Big 3 radio mfg. have renewed competition (for the radio amateur with financial means) from Elecraft,
    new TenTec models, and various Softare Defined Radio (SDR) offerings -- so pricing has to be competitive and appropriate.
    A new IC-7410 or even IC-7400 (IC-746Pro) will not be that cheap.

I have not seen a USED IC-746 or IC-746Pro (IC-7400) in that price range ($500).

w9gb

8. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

On the Icom Japan website, they show the price for the IC 7400 (746PRO), and the new IC-7410 as being the same in Yen. (Y228,900) At todays exchange rate, that would be $2,756. But the 746PRO sold here for $1,000 less at it's highest price. Actually most Icoms seem to be $1,000 less in America than in Japan. So do not judge by the Japanese Yen price.

So if you knock off the $1,000 difference, the IC-7410 should be about $1,700, which was the same as the 746PRO. And the IC-9100 should be around $2,756 give or take a few dollars. That is considering the current price in Japan. And if it is an MSRP, then those price guesses will be even lower in America.

They are saying the 7410 is replacing the 746PRO. But without 2 meters, it's not even close to a replacement. But it will be 100 watts and cover HF/6m.

The 9100 is a combination of the 746PRO and the IC-910. It has all of the HF/6M/2M and feature capability of the 746PRO at 100 watts, and the elite high end bells and whistles of the IC-910 by adding 70cm at 75 watts. It will also have a subband to talk on one band while monitoring another. and switching between them. I have read articles that claim it will compete directly with the Kenwood TS-2000. The only feature the 9100 lacks is the cross-band repeat feature. But the technology inside will be newer.

If my price guessing is anywhere close to the truth, then buying an IC-9100 is like adding 70cm to my 746PRO for another $1,000. And buying a new 7410 is like me ripping out the 2M circuitry from my 746PRO, and it retains it's full value. What's wrong with these pictures?

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

9. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

I see ICOM USA is now listing the radio on their web site...

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7410/default.aspx

And so is Universal Radio, HRO and a few other large outlets.

Unlike the 9100, it has received FCC approval.. Of course it's still not in the stores yet . ICOM doesn't seem to want to rush their radios to market lately.. (The IC-9100 was announced August, 2009).... If they don't release the IC-7410 in Jan/Feb, maybe it will be made available to coincide with Dayton...

Looking at the specs on the ICOM page, it appears that the 'guts' are more similar to the IC-7600 than the 746 Pro.. Actually, the whole chassis is different. It's slightly larger. Even the display is different. (They didn't use leftover 746Pro displays). While it appears to be the same 'paper white' readout, it's almost 1/2 an inch wider (10mm). If they would have used a color display, the radio would have little in common with the 746 Pro.

Below is a comparison photo of the Pro vs 7410 and beside that is a graphic showing the display size difference. (For some reason, this graphic is on the ICOM Japan page, but not the ICOM US page).

10. VE3RIA

VE3RIA Ham Member QRZ Page

re icom gear pro 3

hi there
    i was snooping around because i am in the market for a pro 3.
    Do any of you know the best place where i can get a good pro3 for around 2000
    Canadian dollars.
    I am in Brantford ontario but i am mobile.
    i am serious about this and not a tire kicker
    please get in touch with me.
    abestz28@hotmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.