ad: w5yi

New Icom 7300 on CW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Apr 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost bought the 7610 but can't justify it, in my mind anyway. It's nice, played with it at DXE.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

now that the price has dropped i think it's a good deal - but if you d0nt use all the features like onboard LAN / onboard RSBa-1 server it may not be worth it. Oh, and it really shines in CW & RTTY contests where you can make the receive super narrow.

3. K3EY

I agree, it's really nice and VERY tempting!!

Right now I am on a self imposed austerity program, yeah that's my excuse.:D

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen reports on Eham that the 7610 still has a burn in issue with the screen. I honestly don't know if that is true or not but I have never heard of the problem on the 7300. I know that screen on my 7600 is just fine but I use the screen saver and also don't crank the brightness up full tilt.

So does anyone know if screen burn is still a problem for the IC-7610?

5. K3EY

According to Dave at DXE it's all BS.

7300's are not bullet proof either. I just sent mine to Icom with a fried USB chip. Told me to
    get a shorter USB cable, it's coming today. I had another one with a bad sound card.
    Nothing is perfect, here on earth anyway.

FYI: I was running 10 watts, so........

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tecs were wonderful for full break in. In their day they were the leader!
    My old HW-16 had better full break-in than many of the newer rigs today.
    I suspect that over the years full break in became less popular because all three of my newer TXs really did a poor job on full break-in. I believe my FT-891 does not support full break in..only break-in with an adjustable time delay which I set high to avoid listening to the relay clack. It may be the FT-817ND I can't recall. They both are adjusted to high time delays.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found neither to be even audible with the air conditioner on in the shack. I know people have less tolerance for these things than others--some can be driven quite mad by the sound of a dripping faucet... ;)

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have my IC-740 and it has excellent full break in capability, and the relay is very quiet

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really liked my 7300, but as I have mentioned before, it didn't do well in my noisy location, on the low bands. Wish it had some kind of SDR/Roofing filter hybrid set-up, like the Elecraft radios can. It would be ridiculous, then.

10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. :) No more complaining from me, however. A replacement radio is on the way!