New Icom 7300 on CW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Apr 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder if this radio is a good performer with cw or mainly a SSB righ. Gosh, I have never seen such good reviews about a piece of equipment on eham. I'm not an icom fan but you have to give it to icom, they sell radios. This may beat out the 706.

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It certainly killed the 7200 and the 7410. It's customers are the very ones who would buy a TS 590sg

3. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an IC-7300 and do 90% CW. I love it. No complaints here. I sold my IC-7410 for it.

4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How quiet is it running qsk? Any relay noise?

5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's anything like the 7100, the relay noise is almost nil. I bought a 7100 a few months ago, because I didn't want to wait for the 7300. I've found it to be an awesome CW rig, and would assume the QSK in the 7300 is the same.

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

The 706 relay noise about drove me nuts on cw. I'm sure they have advanced since then. I can see this being stiff competition to several radios on the market. I wonder how it compares to elecraft?

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've happily used a 7200 for some years. One of the best rigs--if maybe not THE best--I've owned. I'm well on the way to convincing myself to relegate it to backup status and buy a 7300, though. ;)

8. K2WO

K2WO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I own a IC-7300. So far, I have only found one thing that annoys me about the radio.......the relay clacking LOUDLY when using CW Full Break-in. I am mostly a CW Op and it drives me crazy that I will have to use Break-in, not Full Break-in. I own an IC-7100, which I rarely use on CW and even it is quieter than the IC-7300. My go-to rigs for CW are the Elecraft K3 and KX3. They are both SILENT on Full Break-in. Why the Japanese manufacturers have a problem with this technology is one of the mysteries of the universe.

George
    K2WO

K8AI, NL7W and NZ5F like this.
  9. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't have a problem but what they do have is a price point they have to build the radio to and inevitably that results in cost cutting where they can such as using cheaper relays.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's surprising and a bit disturbing.

My Ten Tecs are completely silent on full QSK, can't even tell QSK is in use. I wonder what Icom was thinking?

K8AI and NL7W like this.