New IC-706 user

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4JEE, Feb 12, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4JEE

KN4JEE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just acquired an IC-706mkll (new to me) and have lots to learn. It does have the cw filter installed. Since I really do not do alot of cw work was wondering if it will be useful. Am wanting to get into digital modes in near future. So would it be best to keep it or swap out for the ssb one?

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one? IIRC, there were two possible options. I have the 500 hz one and wish I had the 350 hz unit.
    Because my hearing (decoding) of the code needs all the help it can get. ;)

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Old IC-706 user! :D

WE4B likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a PROBLEM?:confused:

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 706 is a decent CW machine, better with one of the filters. 500 Hz will probably be OK for you, but 350 would be better for contesting or DX hunting. For digital modes, the standard SSB width should do fine - the digital modes have their own software filters. I don't remember if you can turn the AGC off on 706, but if you can, that will help with the digital modes. The only concern about the digi modes is heat. I would hold the power down to 20-25 watts or even less. To do that, turn the RF OUT all the way up, and adjust the audio drive to the transmitter from the computer.

6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope!

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For digi modes like the popular FT8, the rig has to be in "SSB" mode. I don't think the IC-706 family allows selecting the narrow CW filter while the rig's switched to SSB.

Maybe it does, I don't remember and it's been years since I used one.

In any case, you don't need to "swap out" the narrow CW filter for an SSB filter, as the Icom came with a good SSB filter to begin with!

If you find yourself never using CW, you might consider removing that filter and simply selling it. Might bring $100 or so assuming it works fine; I don't think Icom sells these anymore, and only see SSB filters for the IC-706 on the INRAD website, so maybe they don't sell the narrow CW filter for that rig anymore, either.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For digital modes like FT8 and PSK31, you'll be in upper sideband (lower sideband for AFSK RTTY) and you'll want the widest filter you have--at least 3Khz.

9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page