New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hate has nothing to do with it, reality. ham radio network is an 8-track tape no one has use for anymore. All you are doing is making your Do Gooder Self feel better while getting in the way of First Responders. You wanna help, send money to Red Cross and stay the heck out of the way. Gotta boat fine, otherwise shut up.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Red Cross requested Amateur Radio operators for the hurricane response in Puerto Rico.

• The Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) resumed operations Wednesday morning and will remain active until further notice on 14.325.00 MHz and 7.268.00 MHz.
    • WX4NHC, the Amateur Radio at the National Hurricane Center, is active to receive observed weather information and data via Amateur Radio to aid forecasters.
    • The VoIP Hurricane Net activated this morning to support communication with the National Hurricane Center.
    • The Southern Territory Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) will remain active until 9 PM ET on Wednesday and will reactivate on Thursday, if necessary. The net will handle emergency, priority, and health-and-welfare traffic from impacted areas, provide ground-truth information from Amateur Radio stations and other sources in the impacted areas for forwarding to Salvation Army leadership. SATERN has been requested to provide Amateur Radio operators for Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee, and Tampa, as well as two to three local units in Georgia, and Divisional Headquarters in Atlanta.
    • The ARRL North Florida and West Central Florida sections are assisting SATERN with additional operators in Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee, and Tampa. North Florida Section ARES is at Level 1 (full) activation.
    • The ARRL Emergency Response Team has been coordinating with Field Organization leadership in ARRL Sections that may be affected by the storm, as well as with WX4NHC, the HWN, VoIP Hurricane Net, Department of Homeland Security SHARES, and US Army MARS.
    Seems to me you might be a bit off in your assessment.

K1TGX, NL7W, W8IXI and 1 other person like this.
  3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do whackers have boats too? It would be interesting to see some pictures of the SS Whacker -- anyone got any?

WZ7U and W4ZD like this.
  4. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once had a whacker... but it got whacked. :p

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

"Ground-truth information"? Someone will have to explain that nomenclature to me.

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here was the carnage from the 2011 earthquake in Virginia.

East Coast Earthquake.jpg

No one asked for amateur radio assistance, I felt so slighted. :rolleyes:

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KA4DPO

Out of all of your bullets, the H&W traffic for the Salvation Army is really the only useful amateur radio operation. The rest is largely unnecessary and just give hams something to do so they will stay out of the way of actual operations. Notice FEMA doesn't want anything to do with us, neither do the first responder agencies in the state.

All of those very important sounding acronyms are just made up stuff by some ham emergency coordinators who want to "get involved". The really sad thing is that the outcome would not change if no hams showed up.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the chair still down, or did someone upright it? And then maybe take a beer break?

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

It took a while, but they I had a beer and all was well. That was a very strange earthquake, not like any I ever felt in California. It was more like a hard vibration but at least I knew what it was and made everyone get out of the house immediately. Homes here are not made to withstand earthquakes and we also have a basement under the house. You don't want the house to collapse on you into the basement so the front yard was the place to go.

I think it was caused by fracking operation just southwest of here. The quake only measured 5.8 but it did a lot of damage to older buildings and the Washington Monument is still closed because of damage to it from that incident.

10. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in Michigan we're still waiting for FEMA to come through and put the chair back upright.

WZ7U, WC5P and KC8VWM like this.