New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

correct, and no one will know for sure until mid morning tomorrow.

In Florida, organizations wanting help need to send a request to the state EOC. they evaluate the request, either approve it or disapprove it. If it is approved, a mission number is assigned and a request is put out to provide the assets asked for (including radio ops). If help comes from outside the area, these personnel will be sent to a volunteer reception center to receive a briefing and credentials to respond.

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  2. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Officials are fun. I remember once, in the 1980s, working in downtown Denver in a tall skyscraper. One day a tornado passed in the distance. We were all glued to the windows, and watched it pass. Maybe 15 minutes after it was gone, the "officials" reacted: evacuate the building to the parking garage. We did so dutifully, stood around for 10 or 15 minutes, then returned to work. Gotta love them "officials." :D

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

*damage assessment*

"Well, the whole town was here, yesterday."

NL7W likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Damage Assessment:

[​IMG]

Well... We can always hope right?

KA4DPO and W4ZD like this.
  5. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That was actually the earthquake we had in Michigan. We suffered greatly.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are there so many people who consider anything short of worship to be hatred? o_O

K0IDT, W4ZD and WR2E like this.
  7. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to have to look those guys up and find where they take donations. They are burning a lot of gas this year.

N5PZJ, WR2E, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to eat at Hardy's Catfish House when I attended Washington-Holmes County VOTEC in Chipley back in '77.

9. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chipley was one of my favorite places. It was 1960 or so, I was in the fifth grade. We had a 25 acre farm there. Pain in the butt picking the corn and the beans, but in retrospect, 'twas fun. Loved it. :)

10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just glad my daughter moved from Destin over to Jax, it's going to be rough going for a while.

No hate about it, volunteers will be needed, amateur radio not so much. Right about now HQ is scrambling to get another STA for P4 so the hamsters can email for more donuts, probably loading up all the banners and stuff for the photo
    ops too. Watch the hurricane communications outage maps on the FCC main page to see how fast service is restored once the telecom guys can get in there.