ad: HamInsurance-1

New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. ;) I have a buddy in LMR sales, and when you see the prices that the professionals spend for their communications gear, it's obvious why most hams are never invited to the party.

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I manage a large city's public safety radio network. Our public safety grade, digital trunked portables cost $3600+ each. Mobiles, with both 800 MHz and GPS antennas included, cost right at $5000 each.

N4BC, KA4DPO and KK5JY like this.
  3. KK5JY

Yep. And that doesn't even begin to address data terminals and data links, ticket printers, etc.

And that's just in the mobiles. The infrastructure sites are even more impressive. :eek:

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully, I manage a mature digital radio system. Yet, it's up-to-date from a networking and a radio dispatch terminal standpoint (less than a year old primary and secondary core servers, routers, Ethernet switches and a 60 each Dispatch Terminal positions upgrade). It rarely hiccups and provides EXCELLENT public safety grade communications.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    N4BC likes this.
  5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Moreover, you don't unplug your coax when there's lightning.

NL7W likes this.
  6. KK5JY

It's amazing what you can get away with when you pay for the good stuff. :D

NL7W likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife's eldest sister used to live in Panama City Beach, 6-blocks from the Gulf. One summer, my wife, 3-daughters, and myself, rode out a hurricane that kept going from a category 1 to a category 2.

We did put tape all over the windows just in case the glass got broken. My brother-in-law did not have that much plywood to put on the outside (there was none available in a large area having been obtained by large building owners, etc.).

A lot of rain and the wind blew down one 8-foot section of stockade fence. Also, the roof of a metal storage shed was slightly damaged. Otherwise, no real damage. However, there is an earthen sea wall at the beach and the storm surge did go over that sea wall by a few inches. The roadway got pretty wet but no real damage. But, in areas where a sea wall was not in place, there definitely was flooding.

Glen, K9STH

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Northern Florida is considerably hillier than the rest of the state so those hills may deflect some of the wind, thus helping to prevent wind damage.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Went through Frederick and David in Melbourne and I don't care to do it again. Hope no one gets hurt.

NL7W likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:) 300 ft hills don't count for much.

NL7W likes this.