New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Never trust Murphy and Mrs. Murphy will lead you astray and abandon you to the wolves.

Funny, I never mentioned prices or types of Radios. A properly maintained Radio will keep working If you take proper care and maintenance.

A baofaeng will not tolerate as much abuse as a Motorola, my FT 60 has taken and given a lot, still going. YMMV

2. N5PZJ

My comment was on how an Emergency Manager used a Ham Radio Operator to send out a message for help in Florida. Living in Louisiana and being a local official can give you insight on Emergency Management. Don’t knock it until you have been in that person’s shoes. You have seen it in Puerto Rico , I have in Louisiana and now Florida is suffering. Those folks need help.

KP4SX likes this.
  3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nicely said, Glen. Reposted for emphasis.

KA4DPO, N3AWS and N5PZJ like this.
  4. N5PZJ

Glenn has a wealth of experience, nobody starts as a walk-on but is involved in the various agencies and knows and respects their line of authority and operation.

Each jurisdiction is different and their SOPs may differ, Amateur Radio strength is in helping the agencies like Salvation Army, Red Cross, Baptist Men’s Union etc. to carry out their mission.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
    Then, you're a mile away and have his shoes."
    - Steven Wright

N2EY likes this.
  6. N5PZJ

And his problems!
    Martin Wade

7. N5PZJ

Excerp from NPR on Michael:
    Mario Gisbert is the city manager of Panama City Beach, and I reached him earlier as he was surveying the damage.

MARIO GISBERT: Rachel, one of the biggest problems we have right now is one of the issues that you and your station and I have been dealing with all morning, and that's communication. We have almost no lines of communication. And when I say almost no, I mean my police chief cannot communicate with my sheriff right now. Cell lines are down. Radio towers are down. And we have things that we can offer here on the Beach because we did not get the damage that was done over into Panama City.

8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Previous: "The statistical info I have is my Ham Radio works 100% of the time..."

Are you including 630m (and don't forget 160m with its good ground wave characteristics during daytime too) as well as new modes like JS8 in that prop study?

9. N5PZJ

Here is the clarification:
    630m & 2200m antennas would be hard to stretch out. 160 is cumbersome but 40 and 80 on NVIS running digital is doable!

You properly load the Antenna and have power, Radio will transmit, voila % Have a space and we are good to go. I prefer to work with the Salvation Army, great folks and wonderful recipes. The Methodist Ladies have cookies galore and KC’s have spaghetti suppers ! One lady was complaining when the emergency was over and she had cook for herself, she was going to lose weight then!

No body starves during recovery.

10. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "630m & 2200m antennas would be hard to stretch out"

Check my QRZ page; Note on 630m this need not be the case. Too many ppl are stuck in the mindset of "I need a dipole" or "I need a tall top-loaded vertical" to work the new bands. Note, too, I am doing this from a city lot.

(I have not worked 2200m yet ...)

I will add: I have used this vert loop configuration on 80m and 40m as well and the the vert loop works QUITE well on both bands.

On 80m the ground loss is reduced and the loop will outperform an 80m dipole at 30 ft (the vert loop top wire is at only 22 ft).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    N5PZJ likes this.