New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know only too well the capabilities of the local sheriffs office and the local EOCs Here in Louisiana, yes LWIN Has built up a massive infrastructure and the eventual goal is to have fiber optic’s linking all of our E OCs with Baton Rouge and the state along with the state police and every sheriffs office. These are noble ideas but costly but the funding is a multi year situation with the legislature. Satellite links for redundant back up are in place in certain areas. Plaquemines Parish which you mentioned has an EOC Which was built as a direct result of Katrina. It is state-of-the-art but I hate to bust your bubble, They did put a ham radio in! It’s a back up, And we don’t have a ham whacker special blue light on it!

In my parish, Lafourche, We are building our EOC With the 911 system info structure in the northern part of Lafourche parish, Our first obstacle to overcome with Our central operating platform was the cost Of the outlying Tower and repeater equipment which at first estimated at $51 million For a Parish Of less than 100,000 persons. The initial cost would have been more then the budget for the parish! The sheriffs office even though they had sharing money from the telecommunication fund, They were able to buy all their hand helds, Base radios and consoles, servers, and build a central link backboning the Parish with a linked operation.

Terrebonne Parish next door set up a similar operation, linking with Lafourche by a Microwave Like on Operation Share Freqs/channels for mutual aid links. Their EOC is sister setup to allow for versatility in the event of one or the other is incapacitated.

And yes, the stuff has failed only a fool pees down a back and tell them it’s raining, when trying to tell anyone that HIS system is infallible, if it was made by humans, it will give up the magic smoke. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

The “at no cost” relates to Ham Radio which in your opinion doesn’t Belong. Anything that works use it.

2. N5PZJ

Dish TV does this in deep recovery mode, for the public service angle, did not see them around but Our local phone Company rolled in 2 Cows and set up a phone bank in a local parking lot after Issac in 2009.

Did not see the Laundry Truck Tide sends around, tho.

The statistical info I have is my Ham Radio works 100% of the time, 100 watts HF. 50 watts VHF and UHF!

The basic use for anything like amateur radio is used as a building block to bigger things. It’s kind like building a bridge, first to start with the string usually strung by kite across the river then once the string is across the river you then attach a small rope to the string to pull an even larger rope each successive time until you have spanned the river. Small radios just summon help, then come the COWS, the repair the cell towers, restore the lights and voila-recovery! Any help is welcomed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    AA5CT likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It does? Sounds like some study in propagation is in order. :eek:

KA4DPO and N5PZJ like this.
  4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, 100% of the time? Maybe but as Matt pointed out there's this pesky propagation thing. Solar flare took out HF during Katrina, geo storm during Maria same for Florence. Read some of the after action reports, amateur station shut down during the CA fires to prevent heat damage to the equipment and many more examples. When all else fails so does amateur radio.

Then there was, one of many lies in front of a Congressional committee, the statement that ham radio could provide "instant" communications anywhere in the world, propagation thing again. My biggest problem is the overselling of
    amateur radio capabilities and the crowd pushing emcomm as the face of the service. The League is looking for a new name........I have suggestions but the cornfield is not where I want to end up :)

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. N5PZJ

2 meters hits the Baton Rouge Repeater, 100% of the time, After I have sent de massage to Baton Rouge (Red Stick Town) de Guvener and his boyz/gurlz will handle de rest!

Pass de rice and gravy, beans and grilliots! Also Ice, Water and drinks.

6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if the repeater is there 100% of the time :rolleyes:

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

With thirteen bands available, one of them should work! When was the last time a solar eruption stopped two metres from working? I think you are too eager to be negative...

N5PZJ likes this.
  8. N5PZJ

Never seen a properly maintained radio fail, been through a lot of situations. A simple push to talk radio usually works.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad to hear that your repeater is immune to hurricane-force winds and power failures. Maybe you should teach the cell companies how to accomplish that feat? :D
    I think you missed my point. See above. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. N5PZJ

Its the Nabobs of Negativity who do not want Amateur Radio put to any use except pure hobby uses. Read my backgrounder starting at #110 about those $5,000.00 us (L3,300.00uk) (public service Type) Whizbang radio in public service and an emergency Service Official having to get a Ham Radio Operator from the adjacent jurisdiction to radio for assistance and establish initial Communications.

Any Port in a Storm is a help, eh?