ad: elecraft

New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh no, that would never happen because they are "rated", cuz.

[​IMG]

N5PZJ likes this.
  2. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Here's an update from Jim NX4E and his wife Bertie in Panama City, Florida they are looking for volunteers, helpers and donations to help restore the cages, take out the fallen trees, meat for the animals and etc. When I lived in Panama City Beach I did get to see the animals they have at the feline center and they need your support if you have the time to do so. Cost will be over $100,000 to get everything back in to working order.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-...h-120128195.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    N5PZJ likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dem towers is up and running, no amateur radio required. Communications, including cell service have already been restored in most of the area.

There was one amateur emergency message passed to the state EOC, and the rest was H&W traffic as usual. Nothing wrong with that but ridiculous to think ham radio saved the day even though ARRL would love for you to think so.

I have a five thousand dollar radio and it is staying right here, if they need me, they will call me.

Want to help, donate to the Red Cross, I did, and you can too, Slick.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    W4POT and WB0MPB like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice picture Bill but I don't think that is in Florida.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

The devastation is heart-wrenching. :( But some buildings look intact among blocks of empty foundations. That is pretty amazing.

6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What announcement? The 2018 Hurricane page with all the press links? Better to check the FCC hurricane communications status page to see what's really up rather than the usual ARRL PR effort.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Northern Florida Section Emergency Coordinator Karl Martin KG4HBN is seeking up to 30 amateur radio operators to assist with communications in Northern Florida under a mission request by the State of Florida. Those who volunteer for this deployment should know that they will need to be self-sufficient, providing their own Amateur radio gear, as well as food, water, sleeping bag and other personal supplies.

Operators will need to bring VHF/UHF gear (mobile and HT) and HF and antennas.

They will need experience working in shelters and with message handling.

Operators will go as volunteers in accordance with mission-tasking by the state of Florida. While there no specific liability insurance is being provided, volunteers will come under the provisions of the Florida Volunteer Protection Act.

Volunteers could be deployed for as long as 7 (seven) days and will need to be reasonably self-sustainable for the deployment.

Volunteers will be placed at shelters, but they will need to bring equipment for sleep (a sleeping bag, pillow, etc.),

Volunteers will need to bring their own power, fuel, food, water, and supplies.

Volunteers selected will receive instructions on the vetting and background check process necessary for deployment.

Those interested in volunteering will need to fill out the form here - https://goo.gl/forms/hDRx4mj69G0Gcts32. Those selected for possible deployment will be contacted by a representative of North Florida Section ARES team. At that time, they will need to register with Volunteer Florida for vetting. Once cleared, they will be contacted with deployment instructions. Under no circumstances should anyone deploy to Florida without being contacted and given an assignment.

Steve Ewald, WV1X

Supervisor, Field Organization Team

ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio®

860-594-0265

sewald@arrl.org

NL7W likes this.
  9. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

In Bristol, a tiny town in Florida’s smallest county, Liberty, where the biggest road has two lanes and half the land is in a national forest, Emergency Management Director Rhonda Lewis found herself cut off from the rest of the world. No power, no landlines or cellphone connections, no Internet. A satellite phone wouldn’t work. It kept saying “searching . . . searching . . . searching,” Lewis said.

Not until Thursday night did she manage to find a man with a ham radio in next-door Calhoun County and bring him back to Bristol, where she could send out calls for help.

Sure, it’s ok, we don’t need no stinking hams, we got a 5000 dollar super Radio!

10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Self sufficient "Force of 30"? Good luck with that, I hope they get volunteers but won't hold my breath waiting. By the time they do get however many are available, cell service will probably be back up.

KA4DPO likes this.