ad: chuckmartin

New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While that rule works in some places, part of the story with Mexico Beach is that it is (was?) the start of the poorer, quieter section of the Redneck Riviera. and the area had been lucking in avoiding past hurricanes to strike the area.

Florida's gotten better with code enforcement, and between that and dollars being drawn to the beach, newer construction does a better job of standing up to hurricanes than older construction, all other things being equal. (Of course, even then, not much stands up to 135 knot winds.) You could really see this with Opal and Dennis.

So with older construction not having been wiped out by a major storm previously....Mexico Beach was particularly bad.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If money is involved, they will come... venue permitting.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to mention that pesky storm surge. Unless you have water tight seals and can wait weeks for the water to recede.

Dang

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure was! I went through Katrina at Keesler and the images bring back some bad memories that I really didn't want to remember! Wonder what the response will be: bring the base back on-line or abandon it? We went through that daily flip-flop for months on end at Keesler...

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamfest is far from the destroyed areas. It is ongoing today and tomorrow. I think it will be a bit smaller than usual, but it is still a great hamfest. If you are going and see me there, say hello :):)

Barry

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a problem that a lot of folks tend to forget. I remember flooding from tropical storms that caused people to lose their homes. The damage from storm surge, and the residual standing water can be terrible.

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My eldest son was born at the Keesler Medical Center. Many memories there! I was stationed there for 7 years.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, hurricane Leslie makes landfall in southern Portugal tonight - things are getting pretty wierd!

N5PZJ likes this.
  10. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

So, explain me something, (someting), the old Cajun wants to know, if you got all dem whizbang rarddios, why in de Sam Hill are dey calling for dem volunteers? Why don't you get youself one of den Five Tausand Dollar Raddios and get to it slick?

Cause dem towers is down! Simple stuff works best. See ARRL announcement.