ad: CARC-1

New Hurricane Heading for Florida Panhandle

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Oct 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the images coming out of the area are heartbreaking...

[​IMG]

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the marketing literature should use the term "storm resistant" instead.

N1EN, KA4DPO and K9ASE like this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

To be fair, though, sometimes it's the misapplication of materials--and not the materials, themselves--that fail. If I remember correctly, when hurricane Andrew swept through Homestead (in South Florida) in 1992, hundreds, if not thousands, of roofs were torn from houses. It was later found out that the contractor that built the houses skimped on costs/labor by not nailing and strapping down the roofs per spec/good practice; if they were nailed and strapped correctly then the roofs wouldn't have come off.

Talk about Lawsuit City...

KA4DPO, K9ASE and KC8VWM like this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You know we get some pretty big Tornados here in Oklahoma that don't even come anywhere close to doing that kind of widespread destruction and devastation.

I got thinking about how at least we have these underground Tornado shelters we can use to protect ourselves. However, I don't think it's even possible to do much of anything underground in Florida to protect yourself from 150mph winds and debris flying around.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hurricane anchors were code when I lived in Brevard County in the 70's and 80's so they have been required for a long time. A lot of the older homes had flat roofs because they were less prone to wind loading. One thing I remember an old timer that I worked with who had lived in the area all his life told me, always look where the oldest homes are built. That's where you want to build because they are on the highest ground and not prone to flooding. Wind is a different matter altogether, nothing stands up to 155 MPH wind, not for long anyway.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting: top of my screen shows an ad for the Melbourne FL hamfest today & tomorrow--be interested to know how that turns out....

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not been there in years but it used to be a great hamfest. I still have a bunch of equipment that was bought there in the 70's.:)

8. N3AWS

I went there one year (probably 2002 or 2003) when we were camping at Patrick AFB. It was near closing time on the last day and they let me in for free!

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Melbourne is several hours' drive from Panama City.

10. N3AWS

I realize that, but I wonder how many people are going to attend a hamfest the weekend after a major hurricane hits their state? Also, the NE Florida hamfests draw a lot of their attendance from along the Eastern coast.