ad: elecraft

New HRO Store Opening in Sacramento CA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6FAK, Apr 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

How about the days when the local ham store was locally owned by active ham radio operators.
    In Memphis there was a store Memphis Amateur. Marshal Rabillio was the owner, and what a time we had there. Every Saturday 20 or more would be there for donuts, coffee and ham talk. The store had a repair center in the back where your rig could be fixed and plenty of used gear as they took trades. All the used equipage worked going through their repair facility before being placed on the floor. Many were there putting a new rig on the air for the first time. There were no dull Saturday mornings for Memphis amateur radio operators.
    I was in my teens now 61.

Years later Marshal told me there was so little margin after the internet, there was no reason to keep going. He commented, when Memphis Amateur sold a radio, we actually made money.

M1WML, K0UO and W5ARM like this.
  2. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. For ebay and other online auction sites to charge sales tax on used items being sold by individuals is extortion IMHO.

M1WML and W5ARM like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure it's really extortion.

But, all states now charge sales tax on everything they can, to make up for lost revenue. Had a table at the flea market? Yeah, private transactions, taxed by the state.

M1WML likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

eBay (et al.) has no choice in the matter

Dave
    W7UUU

M1WML likes this.
  5. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know; we don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KN6KDT

KN6KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received the newest HRO catalog yesterday in the mail. In looking throughout, there is a page with their locations and simple maps to their location. There is also a map of the US with their locations flagged. I could not help notice the Oakland store does not show up here. Is HRO closing the Oakland store once they open the new Sacramento store???
    In reading their announcement posted elsewhere here, it says " serving Northern California" which kind of indicates without actually saying Oakland will not be there any longer.

M1WML likes this.
  7. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never paid any sales tax from any seller for any product purchased outside of the state of Florida including recent purchases online.I'm not complaining at all.

Clayton
    W4KVW

M1WML likes this.
  8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have made several out of state purchases in the last couple of weeks & I was not charged any Sales Tax from either purchase? I guess not everyone is onboard & I'm not Mad. {:>)

Clayton
    W4KVW

M1WML likes this.
  9. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me ask you a question? Would you want to drive to Oakland or Sacramento? I do not know about you, but I know what my answer is.

M1WML likes this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd definitely rather drive to Oakland. But that's because it's a lot closer for me. It's true that Oakland has some neighborhoods where parking is difficult, and some with crime problems, but HRO's location didn't have those issues.

And to answer KN6KDT's question, yes, the Oakland store is closing. See my post in this thread above.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not about to drive to into Oakland just to go a business with lousy customer service. No thanks, I will buy everything online now. Gigaparts has some of the best prices, but availability can be limited. DX Engineering prices are much higher, good customer service and they almost have what you want in stock, but you pay for that privilege with the premium prices. I do not drive to Oakland for anyone or anything.

M1WML likes this.
  12. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

good luck, and all the best to you from bristol england

M1WML likes this.
  13. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you guys could build a store near Asheville, NC soon.

M1WML and WD4ELG like this.
  14. WB6ZZY

WB6ZZY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No complaints from me, maybe XYL. Only about 5 miles from home! I've upgraded the shack over the last 2 years, getting gear from HRO, Gigaparts and DX Engineering. Now I'll be able to browse in store even though I don't need anything major.

M1WML likes this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully they will allow browsing. Since the pandemic, the Oakland store is pick up only, not allowed inside. In the before times they seemed to discourage browsing. I understand the other locations are not like that.

M1WML likes this.