ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. STARLYNX

STARLYNX QRZ Member

Greetings :D

I am new here, and im something of a prepper, with an interest in portable radios. I have no license or call-sign yet, but i am interested in learning.

I don't really see a starting point, so i don't really know how to get started with posting. Advice and more instructions would be helpful, please and thank you. :confused:

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Welcome!! :)

So let's start with: what got you interested in amateur radio? Have you picked up any licensing materials to get an idea what it takes to get licensed?

What are you hoping to achieve once you get your license?

Those would be good questions to start with

Welcome aboard!!

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X likes this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To add to what Dave mentioned above, you should look for some amateur radio clubs in your area. Plan to visit them, either in-person or via on-line if they are meeting that way during the pandemic. This will get you some valuable face-to-face time with real hams that should open some local doors for you.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Regards,
    -Bruce

W7UUU likes this.
  4. STARLYNX

STARLYNX QRZ Member

I've always been intrigued with .... DX'ing, i think it's called. Also, as a prepper and survivalist, comms is a part of prepping.

I picked up a couple of Technician books, but since im a learn by doing sort of person (but no space area to set up an electronicky booth), i don't know how to really proceed with learning the technical side of it, and also build something other than the bought baofeng i currently have for my chest rig.

I would hope to not only be able to talk with others on various radio frequencies, but to also gain knowledge and practice of electronics.

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Knowledge is a big part of obtaining an amateur radio license and a big part of that will involve studying.
    The best references, in my opinion, for a new (or prospective) amateur radio operator who does not have a background in electronics and radio are the "Basic" series offered by the ARRL:

Basic Radio
    Basic Antennas
    Understanding Basic Electronics

These really are written at a "starter" level, as opposed to the ARRL Handbook and the various antenna guides, which pre-suppose the reader has a good grasp on the basics of the hobby.

These three books, along with current study guides for Technician and General, will get you through the study part. And yes, I do recommend going for both from the git-go...the General is very similar and not much more difficult than the Technician exam. The vastly increased privileges of the General ticket will give you a much better start in the service.

So between putting in the book work and working with local radio amateurs, you will be setting yourself up for success.

Regards,
    -Bruce

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

if you get to where you want to tinker with circuits, i have piles of parts. let me know now or later, ill send stuff.

7. STARLYNX

STARLYNX QRZ Member

Well, i certainly wouldn't say no to anything you would want to send my way. :cool:

Also, i have 2 CRT TV's that i had scavenged awhile back. I had hoped to try to make an oscilloscope (well, an actual oscilloscope tool, rather than just the blobbie effect on a screen), but i suppose that it is possible to make a damn fine desk radio out of said pair of TV's.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020