ad: AlphaRF-1

New here and waiting on my callsign

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by FLAMEOUT, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:57 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. FLAMEOUT

FLAMEOUT QRZ Member

New guy here!!! I've always been interested in amateur radio, but never really pursued it, until now. I purchased my GMRS license late last year and took my test for Technician class this past Sunday. Now just waiting for my info to show up in the FCC database. Of course I've been checking daily, even though I was told it would probably be about 15 days.

I have a GMRS (Wouxun KG-805G) and a dual band 2m/70cm (Wouxun KG-UV9P) I Know the radios aren't great, but I'm hoping it's a good start and if things go well, a nice base station HF transceiver might be in the future.

I put a Comet GP-3 antenna on my roof but haven't run any coax yet. I'm not even sure if I can use the UV9P on a 30' run of coax. I did buy some LMR-400 and some 195 to try though. I am picking up lots of repeaters with the rubber ducky though. Not sure about the Tx part of reaching the repeaters yet

Looking forward to getting my callsign and using this radio for something other than listening. Hopefully sooner than the 15 days!

Bill

N3RYB and NG0L like this.
  2. NG0L

NG0L Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on getting your Tech ticket. You'll be miles ahead of many by running LMr-400 with a couple of feet of the more flexible RG-195 nearer your KG-UV9P for a 30-foot run (I can remember :rolleyes: someone :D around my QTH running 100-ft of RG-8x and doing fine). Just a few adapters and remember that the 195 is more flexible, but still prefers nothing tighter than 2" diameter bends. Some folks use even thinner at the radio (RG-316, RG-188, etc), especially if you're gonna handle the radio (like used as a hand-held without a mic or headset or anything).

Sounds like you're on a good path to get it all going; can't wait to see your new call here and hear about what you can work with your 9p

3. FLAMEOUT

FLAMEOUT QRZ Member

Still waiting on that callsign and getting anxious. In the meantime, I did get that coax ran to the roof antenna and now am hitting a few more repeaters, one a little over 20 miles. Still no luck with a GMRS repeater 18 miles away, but there is a slight hill between me and that repeater

Once I get my callsign, I'll be signing up to go take my General and probably joining the club that administers the tests

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If it makes you feel any better, it's WAY better than it once was.

I passed my Novice tests (written + Morse/CW) in early December 1974 and didn't get my license in the mail until March 4, 1975 :eek:

Congrats on passing - just hang tight - it only takes a few days now

Dave
    W7UUU

5. FLAMEOUT

FLAMEOUT QRZ Member

Wow, yeah, 3 months would feel like a lifetime in this day and age where we want everything immediately, if not sooner! Even one day shipping seems too long lol. Back in 1974 I was still in the military and was actually thinking about a HAM license but life got in the way and I just never pursued it. I guess better late than never

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

haha! Yes - we truly live in the days of "instant gratification"

In December 1974 I was 13 years old - learned Morse the summer before out of boredom - then a friend told me about ham radio and how Morse was the "hardest part". But to this day, CW/Morse is still my favorite mode. I took advantage of that 3 months to figure out how to make a dipole, and my parents bought me a Heathkit HW-7 QRP rig (yeah - new novice with 1.5 watts on 40, 20, and 15 meters with a crappy dipole at 15 feet!). I built the kit myself with no guidance in January 1975 and much to my amazement, it worked perfectly the first time I tried it into a dummy load!

My very fist QSO was on March 17 1975 with WA7IVO (now K7MO) - a local ham 10 years older than me and to this day still a very good friend.

How time flies....

Dave
    W7UUU