ad: Halibut-1

New Hams and 2m FM

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KD5KUF writes "Have you passed your test and started out with just a handheld radio (HT)? Then after a while wondered if there is life beyond repeaters? Well, I am here today to tell you there is. With a simple 2 or 5 watt HT and an easy to build ground plane antenna, you will be amazed at the range and the stations you can work on FM repeaters and especially FM simplex frequencies. And for less than $100 you can get an amplifier that will turn it into a 35 watt beast.

The antenna can be made with a standard cabinet mount SO-239 co-ax connector (available at Radio Shack), 5 straight wires (brass welding rod for outdoors, or wire clothes hangers if used in an attic) cut to 20" to start with, 4 solder on type ring terminals to fit screws through mount holes of SO-239. Solder one wire into center pin of connector (being careful not to melt center pin insulator). Then seal around center pin and over insulator ring with silicone rubber to keep out moisture.

Next, solder ring terminals to one end of each of the remaining wires. Mount them onto the connector using appropriate size screws and nuts. Gently bend the 4 ground radial wires downward at a 45 degree angle and measure 19 1/4" from center pin and trim the radials. Measure 19 1/4" from base of center pin toward the tip of center terminal wire and trim.

Viola! You have created an antenna that will work great with an HT, either hanging from its tip in an attic or closet space, or run the co-ax through a length of PVC plastic pipe for a mast to attach outside. Purchase co-ax in the length you have determined from your planned mounting location plus add a few feet just in case. Tip: A little extra money to buy the best quality co-ax you can find is money well spent and will pay off in less output and receive losses and more signal to the antenna. You will also need a PL259 to BNC or SMA adapter, depending on the kind of rubber duck your HT uses.

Note: I recommend that if you plan to attach an amplifier, ask another ham with test equipment to check your antenna's SWR before transmitting at the higher wattage. It will probably be spot on, but should be checked.

This is exactly the antenna I use, mounted at 12 feet and it works great. Join me on simplex, no squelch tails, no courtesy tones, no beeps, no waiting. Just fun. 73, de KD5KUF Joe.

If any questions email me at kd5kuf@arrl.net"

2. KD5NRH

KD5NRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add that the copper cactus/plumber's delight j-pole is not much more difficult or expensive to build, yet in my case, gave dramatically better results.  A ground plane similar to the above was great as a scanner antenna and for field usage, but on the apartment balcony, I always seemed to have problems with RF getting into my computer speakers.  The J-pole didn't have that problem, and generally made me feel better about the whole setup since it was better grounded.

Besides, most people assumed it was some sort of modern art, whereas the purpose of the ground plane is obvious and could result in getting you blamed for all the RFI in the neighborhood.

3. N3MFL

N3MFL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You would be suprised at how easy it is to get into more bands and have tons o' fun with ham radio. Find a club that does VHF/UHF contesting on contest day, and ask if you can operate. You'll have a ball. I have worked with the world winning group W2SZ. I can say that they are professional, and fun too... You can learn alot from a good group of hams willing to teach, if your willing to learn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.