New HAM with questions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG4JYS, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One good thing about Florida is, it is flat. There used to be a repeater in Orlando that was on a 1200 foot television tower. Anyway, there are at least half a dozen 2 meter repeaters within 25 miles of you, and a few 440 ones as well. Check the ARRL website, I think they have the latest.

2. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

EDIT: . . . Once again, never mind . . .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm just glad to see more people in the hobby, that means more stations to work. Of course if they deviate from my paradigm, I'll have to tell them to get off my lawn.:D

W5ESE and W4NNF like this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the hobby.

My advice: Update to the General.

The sliver of bandwidth given to you as a Tech in the US, with the hopes that you'll take on CW or upgrade to General, is quite ridiculous.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your best source of up-to-date information on the local repeaters in your area is going to be the clubs and repeater groups. I looked up the CARS group on ARRL and they don't have a website listed, but it was easy enough to do a Google search for them. Their website is http://www.carshamradio.org/wordpress/ and they have some contact info at the bottom of their home page. You could also try taking the club officers' callsigns on the ARRL club page and do a QRZ search to see if any of them have provided direct email or phone info for themselves. On the CARS homepage, you can click on their Repeaters tab and you'll be taken to a page with a list of what I assume to be club repeaters. Frequency and PL tone information is provided.

The other club listed for the Largo area, the West Central Florida group, has a much better ARRL club page--they include their website address, a general email address for inquiries, as well as actual phone contact info for their club secretary, Larry Gispert, KR4X. If those don't work, you can look KR4X up on QRZ--his profile page has a personal email address listed. They have several repeaters (see their website under NI4CE REPEATER SITES). Their repeaters are open for any licensed amateur radio operator to use.

Good luck!

6. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KO4ESA

8. KO4ESA

9. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you go the route of repairing your FT-101E, to make your first contact, don't take so long that you risk losing interest in ham radio. Best to get on the air as soon as you can, of course.

10. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All good info/advice here. We were all in your boat at some point. With your interests not quite focused on what/where you'd like to go, I'd do one thing right now, get a cheap HT and just listen to the local repeaters. Learn your Q-Codes.
    Get to know "the lay of the land" as it were.

Then, get a cheap HF rig, put up a multiband dipole or even use WebSDR, and just lurk for a while. You'll learn tons just from listening before that first QSO. I had an HF rig as a tech. Never used the PTT, but listened for weeks, which wasn't hard because I'd been a shortwave listener as a kid.

KP4SX likes this.