New HAM with LOTS of questions

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KI7KRY, Apr 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the fold! Glad you're asking these kinds of questions. I applaud your move to HF over just what a tech license affords you. Each band has different character and different possibilities. 20m is a great DX band during the day many times, but 40m is a great DX band in the early morning and then lots of fun for WAS or regional chats all day/night long. 10m is AWESOME when it opens (less frequently lately but still occasional openings if you listen) 15m the same, 17m is just a lot of fun all around...there is a lot to learn about all of the bands and you're just a couple of wires away even with an HOA. I would encourage you not to stop. By that I mean just keep doing what you've been doing. Don't stop at FM, don't stop at VHF, don't stop at digital modes, don't stop at 20m or 40m...DON'T STOP. I spent the better part of the time I was a general operating only CW and occasionally SSB on my favorite bands. Then I decided to try some new things...including digital. To my surprise I enjoyed it MUCH more than I thought I would. Then it was VHF weak signal, then meteor scatter, then satellites, EME and who knows what else. There is a whole world of fun out there in amateur radio and I believe something for everyone who has an interest in this sort of thing. If you like the outdoors I highly recommend SOTA. It is a lot of fun and you'll get to combine some hobbies! I just think all of this stuff is addictive but not just mindless fun...I have learned more in amateur radio than anything else I do for enjoyment. That knowledge translates to other things as well. Keep it up!

2. K0BWR

K0BWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!