New Ham ops, suggestions for combating poor propagation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9KQX, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Post winner!

2. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Busy day here, finally had time to read all the posts. Nice to see some constructive comments and suggestions. I was going to clarify my idea of new ham is someone who just got there general and trying to get on HF. I should have been more specific. When I got my tech 4 years ago, i went back a month later and got my General. When I got into the hobby, my goal was to be on HF, not VHF/UHF. When I got my modest station all I can say was what a learning curve. I was pretty green, and had no elmer. Just lots of reading and experimenting and luckily a background in electronics so that helped.

Also an early comment about giving up all hope, well, it was more of an observation I've seen from listening and reading around the internet. It wasn't directed to the dedicated Hams, more of the casual operators. I'd just like to see those ops get a little more involved in the hobby, and find enjoyment in it.

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Been there done it, worked King Hussein several times for more than half an hour each time, we sort of hit it off. But the great thing about the hobby is there is something for everyone. Try talking to a DX about doing a rebuild on a GM or Ford engine and see how far you get.

W2AI likes this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

DX? Big freakin deal. You enjoy it. I just like shooting the shite with another ham. Best on CW for me but phone can be fun too.

Gotta get my thrills when I can. Many of us won’t be here for the peak of the next cycle if their is one.

K0UO and W2AI like this.
  5. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a new ham, just coming up on one year since I took the Tech exam. Although I was a SWL in the 60s and know how good propagation was, current conditions are all I know as a ham. I find plenty of opportunities for DX, working QRP. I thought QSOs should be with strong signals both ways, but I really enjoy the tough contacts, especially with CW. I never could understand the appeal of contests, but I’ve found myself in four so far, almost by accident, and I’m hooked. As others have noted, contests are great for new DXCCs.

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The bands most certainly are NOT dead. I make contacts every day, and I do mean every day (Europe, Australia, Japan) using 5 to 10 watts of power and a dipole 35 feet in the air.

There is much more to ham radio than "talking" to someone. I am not a phone operator, but I hear lots of phone QSOs every day.

Anyone who complains about the dead bands because of the solar minimum is not trying... Period.

The WSJTX modes will enable you to make QSOs every day of the week. CW is a mode that never fails. NEVER.

If all you want is to whine and cry about the solar minimum, congratulations. You are a great success. Otherwise,get off your can and do something.

Learn CW. Use the WSJTX modes. That's what ham radio is all bout. Learning something new, increasing your knowledge. If all you want is to takl, FRS is a great hobby that requires NO thought. No education and no solar maximum.

When I read these posts about how you cannot work DX because there is no one to talk to because of solar minimum; I ringe.

Nothing is farther from the truth.

All that being said, I have been told to get my affairs in order. To all my friends (and enemies) here on the ZED thank you for a wonderful time. I wish you all the very best.

73 and Good Night
    John

K0UO likes this.
  8. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

So True!

9. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Two words: Call CQ

That is the simplest antidote to an empty band.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    WE4E likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Ya gotta drop a line in the water to catch fish!