New Ham ops, suggestions for combating poor propagation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9KQX, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Never give up on a band without calling CQ!

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I read through the responses and there isn't a bad suggestion in the lot of them.

The only thing I will add is to become proficient in as many modes as possible, SSB, CW, RTTY, FT-8 (especially F/H mode) et al. And along with that, be capable of operating on every HF band as well as 6 and 160 meters. After all, you can't blame sun spots for not being able to work an active station on a band or mode you are incapable of.

Good luck and have fun.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to actually work DX to spot it on the DX cluster. You can keep those big contest multi-ops busy on stations you don't need to work by spotting them and then tuning around for stations you do need.

Your entry category should change to assisted, as you are in fact using the spotting cluster to your advantage. :)

VE3CEN and N0TZU like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I prefer working US stations. I have been a ham for a very long time and DX just doesn't hold the same thrill that it once did. I still make DX contacts once in a while, but I would much rather have a conversation with another American who can talk about cars, boats, radios, and other stuff that we can all relate too.

WG8Z and K8AI like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s exactly what I did since I was DX hunting.

Oh, and always submit your log too, even if just as a “check log”. Then your contact is valid for the other guy’s log and he won’t lose the points, or worse, be assessed penalty points.

WW2PT likes this.
  6. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The typical new ham isn't going to be chasing DX with their tech ticket and BungFang HT. Techs that have an HF rig will be extremely limited unless they learn CW. A new ham that made the effort to obtain a general ticket (or higher) and an HF rig will probably have to contend with antenna restrictions that make working DX even more of a challenge. Perhaps those issues should be addressed first.

K8NY likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why people feel compelled to make stuff easier for kids is something I never understood.

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I always found having such discussions with hams in exotic locations more interesting, e.g., a ham in Botswana who owned a gold mine employing 30,000 people (so he said) explaining the difficulties in the different languages, a qso with a guy in Zambia who had to consistently run outside to chase elephants away from his tower which they liked using as a scratching post, a guy in France who managed the Peugeot plant when we owned a P504 sedan, etc...

9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with the bands. The CQ WW contest this past weekend proved that. It's probably just inactive hams all tuned to the bands and waiting for one of them to call CQ.I wasn't very active during the contest, only on Saturday night after kids bedtime more or less , however ,in that short time frame I worked 14 countries with my portable vertical.My bandscope is called a VFO, I even have two of them. Three if I count my SDRPlay RSP1A hooked up to the TS870 rx antenna outlet. Tuning around finds some interesting stations. Other night only 3 frequencies in use on 40 meters and two were stateside ragchews with the usual suspects in the Midwest.. I worked the other one with ZS6CCY.I get a lotta cracks from my neighbor hams associating me with DX , but I can't help it. Ever since I was a SWL I always looked for those hard to find stations. Or hard to hear.
    So build a decent antenna and if possible use more than one. Use different receivers tuned to different bands too.

WE4E likes this.
  10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

None of my wires is over 40 feet high but I worked 36 countries on 75M and 34 countries on 40M in the CQ WW Phone contest this past weekend.
    I think my 80M wire vertical cost me $60 in parts to put together.

When I was a young ham there was no charge for taking exams at the FCC. Upgrading may be an inexpensive way of "improving" band conditions by getting access to more useful HF frequencies.

Zak W1VT

WE4E likes this.