New HAM looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC1MSX, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KC1MSX

KC1MSX Ham Member QRZ Page

greetings from Maine!,

its my first post and Im excited to here form the community, forgive me any mistake making this post. Im fairly new HAM looking for some advise on my next radio purchase. I wanted to get in to DMR, its popular in my area. I want get some advise on getting an Alinco DJ-MD5TGP with a Retevis rt-91D amplifier or the TYT MD-9600. I have a mobile antenna that Im using with my Baofeng but would like a little more power (and a higher quality radio china's finest only goes so far).

I like the flexibility of the Alinco and the amplifier. I can use is as a mobile rig in my truck or take it out and use it with a hotspot at home. The Alinco is front pannel programable which is a big plus in my book.

The MD-9600 seems like a good radio, my only problem with it is i wont be able to remove it easily to use in my house as a base station or hotspot radio. ill be stuck in the truck to use it.

which ever radio set up i get ill be stuck with for a while before i can get any other radios. if anyone know of a better solution then these two such as a different ht and amp set up or a better DMR mobile that wont break the bank Im all ears.

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

In many decades of radio operation (79 to present CB 89 to present ham) I have never used a radio for mobile & home. Just get the TYT for mobile. Eventually get something for the house.
    I have operated with HTs as mobiles, but would not again, except for in great need. Too hard to see display.

Ed

KC1MSX likes this.
  3. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Moving a radio from car to house is a pita that probably won't happen more then a handful of times

W9WQA and KC1MSX like this.
  4. KC1MSX

I didnt even consider the screen size as a potential problem thanks for the input!

5. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings from Maine as well. Welcome aboard. :)

KC1MSX likes this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

off topic but alinco must have a special dept to create complex...radio names.
    icom 7300, yaesu, 450d, so simple, just sayin...

KC1MSX likes this.
  7. KC1MSX

It sounds like a computer generated password

W9WQA likes this.
  8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

You're forgiven... but it's ham not HAM.

It's not an acronym ... should not be ALL CAPS.

;)

W6KCS and WA8FOZ like this.
  9. KO4ELN

KO4ELN Ham Member QRZ Page

I can’t verify this as being factual however I have read several reviews regarding the program software of Alinco as being quite “buggy”.

10. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my first decent radio purchase, too. (It's a nice little radio but the programming software isn't so hot... I ended up buying the RTSystems product.)

I tried using it in the car, connected to a mag-mount mobile antenna on the roof, and it was not at all practical. The volume was insufficient, the display is too small to look at while driving, and it was a PITA taking the antenna off and connecting the mobile antenna and vice-versa.

I ended up buying an Alinco DR-735 to use in the car.