New Ham looking for a patient Elmer?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WA0ARM, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA0ARM

WA0ARM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

Larry,

Thank you very much for the post. Don't worry, I will follow the rules. I guess I was wanting to know if I needed to notify the FCC of the violation. Contrary to the inference of the helpful gentlemen below I aced the Technician test and will promptly take the General to remedy my situation. I could argue an issue of ambiguity on the band plan document I attached but it really does not matter at this point. I was wrong.

On page 1-6 on the ARRL Technician manual it describes an Elmer as someone who personlly guides and tutors a new ham through the learning process, experienced hams that lend a helping hand to newcomers. KB3SFX - I am not sure you fit that description.

Thanks,

Bill

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem...

Bill,

Don't sweat it. Everyone here has made a mistake or two in their ham career(s).

That's why we were asking. Just face towards Newington CT. and bow three times, whilst swearing never to violate part 97 again!

But seriously folks, this is part of the learning process. You have the band chart now, read and heed!

In a nutshell, you have all privileges above 30 MHz and SSB phone only on 28.3-28.5 with a power limit of 200 watts. Then, you have CW and data privileges on the bottom 300 kHz of ten meters and some CW only privileges on 15, 40, and 80 meters, all at 200 watts maximum.

73 for now, and if you need any other assistance above and beyond QRZ, feel free to look me up and E-mail questions at your convenience.

Gary

3. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well put.

You can also get help at http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers. I like the forum software here on qrz.com much better, but eham.net is a good site, too.

4. K3SFX

K3SFX Ham Member QRZ Page

even more stupid comment removed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He he! I have my first (and only) FCC "QSL card" framed. :)

eric

6. KC8JRV

KC8JRV Ham Member QRZ Page

I went there to the Elmers forum and asked for some help, just as you are a new Tech...I'm seeking information along the same lines... and I got six or more supportive answers directing me to several sources of info.
    (Plus, I also got two trolls who started a flame war.... so my point is this...
    you'll find some very helpful, tollerant Hams here AND there, and you'll also find some mean nasty characters who like to complain.;))

You realized you were operating in error. Unless you get a Show Cause or a Cease and Decist order, I'd say you're alright. The point is your error was pointed out, and you immediately corrected your behavior. That speaks volumes to anyone watching... elmers, fcc, arrl, etc.

It's a learning hobby. Relax. Don't beat yourself up anymore over it.:rolleyes:

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well...fire that thing up on 28.300 Mhz to 28.500 Mhz and talk away...or learn CW and go back to 40m...or study up real quick and pass your General.

No blood no foul. You realized your mistake, time to move on. Welcome to the fraternity of hams that make mistakes. <grin>

8. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

We all make mistakes, don't let it get you down. Keep learning. Have fun! Try to find a local amateur radio club in your area, were you can get some live support.

Study and prepare for the General exam (you already have some HF experience…J).

9. WA0ARM

WA0ARM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Guys!

I would like to thank everyone for your encouragement! Perhaps this is a case where I knew enough to be dangerous but not enough to do it right. I assure you that I am more disappointed in myself than you are in me. The ironic part of the whole thing is that I had both the ARRL band plan and the ICOM poster in my lap every time I operated and constantly checked where I was at.

So let's get on to this Elmering thing? Last night I diligently converted my Buddipole to 2 Meter, studied the bandplan (again), tuned up the antenna, and swept through the band looking for traffic. Bear in mind that I have already configured my radio to hit two repeaters in the area on FM but I am presently more interested in working SSB. I pretty sure I have the hardware configured properly. Would someone explain to me what the typical processs is for looking for a contact using this mode? The only conversation I found was where I did not expect it which was on AM?

Regards,

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.